posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon

Default Know nothing about pda's

Can I use a pda at the helm to controll, use, interface with, whatever, a
notebook running a nav program in the cabin? For instance with bluetooth,
can the pda become the i/o device for the laptop so I have a full blown nav
program at my disposal at the helm that I can actually see and is small
enough to handle easily without being hardwired?
Thanx
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

Gordon wrote:
Can I use a pda at the helm to controll, use, interface with,
whatever, a notebook running a nav program in the cabin? For instance
with bluetooth, can the pda become the i/o device for the laptop so I
have a full blown nav program at my disposal at the helm that I can
actually see and is small enough to handle easily without being
hardwired? Thanx
Gordon

I could be wrong, but I don't know of any PDA that will run a program which
is loaded on the hard disk of another computer. Most PDA nav. systems are
loaded on the solid-state drive of the PDA and are cut-down versions of full
programs.

The I/O device for the laptop which you mention would surely be a Bluetooth
GPS.

Using a wireless multiplexer, it may be possible to install such a set-up,
but I have doubts about a PDA being able to run a program that was not
designed for Windows CE.

You could have Bluetooth on all 3 items of course.

Such a set-up would send the necessary data from the GPS to both the laptop
and the PDA. Is this what you want? You would have to check whether NMEA
protocol can split the sentences and send them to 2 devices.

Dennis.

Gordon wrote:
Can I use a pda at the helm to controll, use, interface with,
whatever, a notebook running a nav program in the cabin? For instance
with bluetooth, can the pda become the i/o device for the laptop so I
have a full blown nav program at my disposal at the helm that I can
actually see and is small enough to handle easily without being
hardwired? Thanx
Gordon

I should also have mentioned Gpsgate from www.franson.com. Which will enable
you to network the GPS signal to 2 or more computers.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Gordon wrote:
Can I use a pda at the helm to controll, use, interface with, whatever, a
notebook running a nav program in the cabin? For instance with bluetooth,
can the pda become the i/o device for the laptop so I have a full blown nav
program at my disposal at the helm that I can actually see and is small
enough to handle easily without being hardwired?

You're talking basically about having software running on a laptop and
having a second display, with I/O (touchscreen, etc.) sharing access to
the running programs from some distance away.

I think the Panasonic Toughbook series of laptops and accessories will
give you that capability. At the following link, look at the Toughbook
18 and 29 as examples of what appear to be good laptops for a marine
environment, and also look at the Toughbook-MDWD Mobile Data Wireless
Display. Not that there are fully rugged models and semi-rugged models,
the former seem to be the best for use on boats.

http://tinyurl.com/46juy

I'm almost ready to buy a new laptop and am considering the Toughbook
series. That page shows only the current models. There are some
discontinued models (the 72 comes to mind) that are available at pretty
attractive prices on eBay and through some internet sellers specializing
the industrial market computers.

There is also the P-1 handheld which is a ruggedized PDA. A PDA like
that could be useful in the cockpit but it wouldn't have the wireless
working relationship of the laptop/MDWD combo.

The MDWD is larger than a PDA but I can still visualize it as pretty
useful in the cockpit either laying in a visible position or mounted to
a bulkhead or panel.

The Toughbook line is new to me, I'm sort of surprised that I have not
seen them mentioned here before. It would be good to get some feedback
if anyone has been using them on boats or in other tough environments.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Gordon wrote:
[...]

How big is the solid state drive? In other words, where do you store the
maps? That's a lot of data. Could they access something like a usb hard
drive?
Gordon

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Willem Amels

"Gordon" wrote in
:

Can I use a pda at the helm to controll, use, interface with,
whatever, a
notebook running a nav program in the cabin? For instance with
bluetooth, can the pda become the i/o device for the laptop so I have
a full blown nav program at my disposal at the helm that I can
actually see and is small enough to handle easily without being
hardwired?
Thanx
Gordon

Hello Gordon,

It is possible by using VNC (Virtual Network Computer) or remote desktop
on the PDA. I have some experience with VNC. It is difficult to setup and
a bit slow, but it works. Here is a link with more information:

http://www.tactictool.com/index.php?...ask=view&id=16
&Itemid=2

It has even been tested on a Palm over bluetooth.

Willem