posted to rec.boats.electronics
otter

Default Autohelm 4000 won't disengage

Hello!
I am posting this here as the result of a suggestion on
rec.boats.cruising

I am currently singlehanding down the east coast, and have run into a
problem with my autohelm 4000. When in the disengaged position, the
belt still ratchets over the drive gear (catches on the teeth, doesn't
disengage properly) and interferes with free (hand steering) operation.
As long as it is engaged it seems to work normally.

I would suspect the belt tension being too tight, so that it doesn't
release completely, but I haven't heard of too many belts tightening as
opposed to loosening over time, although I guess anything can happen.

I have had the wheel actuator apart, the idler wheel actuated by the
lever seems a bit worn and sloppy, and it may be binding. One problem
is that I don't know if the principle of operation is that when the
belt is "loose" (disengaged), does it slip on the driven drum, or does
it pull back from the teeth of the drive????

I am now in Cocoa, and will check back in Vero. Thanks in advance for
the help! I really rely on this autopilot, and a new one is mucho
dinero.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Phil Stanton

As far as I remember there is an additional cam ( not the one on the
engaging lever) to adjust the belt tension. This is on an eccentric center.
Obviously everything needs to be clean and wahed down with fresh water. If
it is still stick after slackening the tension, try a little furniture
polish on the driven drum. You're right that the teeth just slip

Phil

oups.com...

Old Autohelm 800/1000 schematic/diagram rhys Cruising 6 January 18th 10 11:44 PM
autohelm 4000 won't disengage otter Cruising 9 January 3rd 06 04:25 PM
Autohelm 4000 Richard Lane Electronics 1 October 17th 05 05:26 PM
WTB: Autohelm 4000 control head in Washington state Richard Lane Marketplace 0 October 16th 05 12:35 AM
Autohelm 4000 Richard Lane Electronics 0 October 15th 05 02:21 PM