posted to rec.boats.electronics
TheJouster

Default Download Furuno GPS data?

Hi, Our work vessel has a Furuno GP32 GPS. I am having trouble sending the
GPS data to my laptop for backup purposes. I know how to set the GPS to send
data, I just need an app to recieve the file. I've done this no problem with
Garmin and Micrologic GPS', but the same apps dont work with the Furuno. Any
info would be appriciated. Wejust got this new GPS installed on our Tug and
its sad cause we lost our old waypoints due to lack of communication with
our shore crew. I dont want that to happen again.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

TheJouster wrote:

Hi, Our work vessel has a Furuno GP32 GPS. I am having trouble sending the
GPS data to my laptop for backup purposes. I know how to set the GPS to send
data, I just need an app to recieve the file. I've done this no problem with
Garmin and Micrologic GPS', but the same apps dont work with the Furuno. Any
info would be appriciated. Wejust got this new GPS installed on our Tug and
its sad cause we lost our old waypoints due to lack of communication with
our shore crew. I dont want that to happen again.

If the Furuno sends that as ascii text via a serial port, maybe you can
use Hyperterminal (that is included with Windows).

To use that, start the Hyperterm, type in any name for the connection,
in the Connect to: window select the COM port you expect the data to be
sent to and click OK. On the settings select:

4800 (or whatever speed the Furuno is set to)
8
None
1
Hardware

and click OK again. Click on Call and Call again and then send the data
from the Furuno.

If it is sent on the same port as NMEA data, you should see the NMEA
data scrolling as soon as you connect.

From the Transfer menu you can set it up to send the data to a file.
Or you can copy it and paste in into Notepad, Wordpad or any word
processor.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics
TheJouster

Thanks Jack, I actually tried Hyperterminal first with no luck but i didnt
do it like u explained, ill give that another try. I thought there may be an
easy app to do it simpler.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
TheJouster wrote:

[...]

From the Transfer menu you can set it up to send the data to a file. Or
you can copy it and paste in into Notepad, Wordpad or any word processor.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke Christensen

I think you have to use a Furuno-aware piece of software. Otherwise you will
face difficulties when trying to send them back to the GPS.

I think there are freeware around. I'm using a danish free-ware
(http://www.sejlsport.dk/graphics/ds/...nk_exe-fil.zip) that
come with a PC navigation package. It has a Furuno capability dll
(http://www.ridax.se/furuno.dll) that can be downloaded from
http://www.ridax.se/marine.htm.

I realise that it's i swedish/danish, but it should be straightforward to
either find a similar in us/english software or to learn the 3-4 danish
words that it takes. I'm happy to help.

/Bjarke

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
TheJouster wrote:

[...]

From the Transfer menu you can set it up to send the data to a file. Or
you can copy it and paste in into Notepad, Wordpad or any word processor.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"TheJouster" wrote in message
Thanks Jack, I actually tried Hyperterminal first with no luck but i didnt
do it like u explained, ill give that another try. I thought there may be

an
easy app to do it simpler.

Hyperterminal is crap. In 90% of the cases you start it when data comes in
on the comport. it says "cannot open com port". Then, if you need to change
comm parameters, you have to disconnect first, change the parameters and
connect again. And then there is this thing that you need to define a
connection first.

Do a google search for TeraTerm and you get a no-nonsense always working
terminal program.

Meindert

TheJouster wrote:

Thanks Jack, I actually tried Hyperterminal first with no luck but i didnt
do it like u explained, ill give that another try. I thought there may be an
easy app to do it simpler.

Well maybe there is one. Look at GPS Utility at this link:
http://www.gpsu.co.uk/gpsrecs.html

They have a good freeware version that will let you test it. I have had
the registered version of GPSU for a few years and use it regularly to
upload and download waypoints and routes from several Magellan handheld
GPS units.

It is also great for reviewing and editing routes and for editing the
names and comments of waypoints. You can also download and view
trackpoints as a list and plotted. Any of the data GPSU will collect
can be displayed overlaid on bit mapped raster image maps too. I'm not
sure how much of that applies to your Furuno but it's worth looking at.

It looks like the GP32 expects the sending process to be started from
the GP32, so I'm not quite sure how GPSU handles that. On my Magellans
GPSU finds the GPS (I have to tell it the port settings) and gets or
sends the stuff.

Here is the manual for the GP32 if you don't have one. The capability
to do what you want to do is there but the procedure for doing it seems
a little more complicated than it needs to be.

http://tinyurl.com/btfu8

It may just be me but it seems like when I use Furuno stuff I go through
a period of frustration trying to get it set up, then make a call to a
Furuno tech support guy who usually tells me "ignore the manual, it is
screwed up, do this instead...", and then I get it going and it works
beautifully.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Meindert Sprang wrote:

Hyperterminal is crap...

Of course it is, it comes free with Windows. In the land of the blind a
one eyed terminal program is King. :)

Do a google search for TeraTerm and you get a no-nonsense always working
terminal program.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

Thanks for the reference, I'm surprised I have not found that (or its
Windows-CE version) before in my previous quests for terminal programs
for PCs and PDAs. I'm going to try it on Windows 2000 and a Pocket PC.
Have you used it on those?

As always the best way to pry knowledge out of the professionals is to
fumble around in their presence doing something the hard way.

Best of the Season to you Meindert! And thanks for your help here!

Jack

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

Thanks for the reference, I'm surprised I have not found that (or its
Windows-CE version) before in my previous quests for terminal programs
for PCs and PDAs. I'm going to try it on Windows 2000 and a Pocket PC.
Have you used it on those?

I use it on W2K and it is the only terminal program I use. I do quite a lot
of embedded design where systems communicate through a serial port and I
always use TeraTerm for that.

As always the best way to pry knowledge out of the professionals is to
fumble around in their presence doing something the hard way.

That is a good one! :-))

Best of the Season to you Meindert! And thanks for your help here!

Thanks and all the best to you too Jack!

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
ll

here you will find a utility that work with Furuno GP30 (on the oziexplorer
homepage)

http://64.71.184.220/utils/furuno.zip

maybe it will work with the GP32 as well

"TheJouster" wrote in message
newsPkqf.811$AP5.445@edtnps84...
Hi, Our work vessel has a Furuno GP32 GPS. I am having trouble sending the
GPS data to my laptop for backup purposes. I know how to set the GPS to
send data, I just need an app to recieve the file. I've done this no
problem with Garmin and Micrologic GPS', but the same apps dont work with
the Furuno. Any info would be appriciated. Wejust got this new GPS
installed on our Tug and its sad cause we lost our old waypoints due to
lack of communication with our shore crew. I dont want that to happen
again.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
TheJouster

Thanks for all the input, much appriciated!

"ll" wrote in message
k...
here you will find a utility that work with Furuno GP30 (on the
oziexplorer homepage)

http://64.71.184.220/utils/furuno.zip

maybe it will work with the GP32 as well

"TheJouster" wrote in message
newsPkqf.811$AP5.445@edtnps84...
Hi, Our work vessel has a Furuno GP32 GPS. I am having trouble sending
the GPS data to my laptop for backup purposes. I know how to set the GPS
to send data, I just need an app to recieve the file. I've done this no
problem with Garmin and Micrologic GPS', but the same apps dont work with
the Furuno. Any info would be appriciated. Wejust got this new GPS
installed on our Tug and its sad cause we lost our old waypoints due to
lack of communication with our shore crew. I dont want that to happen
again.

how to read AIS data from encapsulated NMEA VDO sentence [email protected] Electronics 12 July 14th 06 01:15 AM
ARPA data Dave Baker Electronics 12 December 31st 05 12:52 AM
GPS Question Andy Saunders Electronics 11 December 27th 05 06:46 PM
Urgent ! Can anyone understand these safety data ? [email protected] Cruising 22 December 9th 05 01:06 AM