RW Salnick

Default Raymarine ST6001+ and old Benmar rotary actuator?

Our boat is a sailboat... does the ComNav have a Tack function?

bob

Doug wrote:
"RW Salnick" wrote in message

DARN! I have been asking about the soft-start issue for a long time,
and this is the first answer I have gotten, and it is the wrong way for

me.

I had never heard of ComNav before this message, so I did a Google
search on it - got some mixed reviews... I will post a new message to
this group asking for opinions...

GOGO Gadget wrote:

Bob,

We have done this in the past with the help of John at the JRJ Group,
which I think is near you. They are the ComNav Distributor in US
360-571-5835.We used a kit he recommended which was easy to install.

Some Issues you should be aware of.
1. The Raymarine electronics are only rated for 15 AMPS and will not
drive (for very long ) the Benmar drive.
2. The Raymarine unit has a "Soft start" PWM output so driving the
relays could be a problem when the voltage to the relays is below the
hold voltage.
3.You will need to install a Rudder feedback.
4. The Comnav unit we are using (NX2 electronics)has a limit you set so
the limit switches are not needed.
5.The ComNav Pilot is much better at steering than the Ray unit we had
on another boat plus it was less expensive.

This was all pretty painless and has worked for 2 years.
Gadget

We sell alot of ComNav, along with Raymarine autopilots. One nice feature
about ComNav rudder follower units is they have a kit available to rebuild
them in the field. My boss just did a couple of these on commercial fishing
boats last month.
73
Doug K7ABX

GOGO Gadget

Doug,

The NX2 Pilot we are using does have a Tack function that works
well(boat tacks to same angle on the oppisite tack/gybe). This works
thru the NX2 Instrument system we also have.From what I can read in the
manual could also work from NMEA thru a NX2 interface box. It seems the
wind functions work better when connected to the NX2 Instrument system
because of a faster data transfer from the transducer rather than
NMEA.But it would work from what ever your instruments are.
Also I checked with the guys at JRJ and the New Compilot works and
tacks without the interface box (is a little more expensive though). I
would check with JRJ to see what all this would workout to be.
Gadget