Default Autohelm ST5000 Wheelpilot problems.

Autohelm ST5000 Wheelpilot problems.

The unit seems to work fine with its fluxgate compass sometimes, but
'throws wobblies', in which the display goes berserk - displaying
moving random segments of numbers including the small 'Cal & Wpt'
writing at top right. Rapid de-clutching and manual takeover is then
needed! Since the power supply wiring was way below the makers
recommendation (.75 sq mm over 5m run) I've rewired it using 2.5 sq mm
in case the voltage drop with the drive motor running was causing the
electronics to 'drop out'. This 'cured' it for about 20hrs use, but
now it's back to its old tricks again. Resetting to 'Standby' results
in the display going to 'flashing C 060 ' (regardless of heading);
repeated stabs at Standby can get the heading back to whatever it
should be, then 'Auto" sometimes works for a while before the next
'wobbly'. I've been through the complete calibration sequence - which
displays perfectly - including the '3 slow circles'.

Does this sound like the fluxgate is at fault, or the actual head.
Both have been professionally checked out before re-installing (the
cabling is a real pig to get at), but then it is an intermittent
fault. I couldn't get any sense from it using the NMEA input with the
output from a NASA Clipper Wind either, but that may not be part of
the same fault!
Steve

From my limited experience with my
factory refurbished ST5000, I know that the wire connectors, into the back
of the control head can create problems. Might be ok when you insert the
connector but later when you push the head back into it's mount location,
they can bend and cause a strain on the connection.

Also the OEM connector lugs were gold plated as are the connectors in the
back of the control head. I never had enough for the installation and ended
up using some standard connectors which I had difficulty getting onto the
male connectors in the back. Right size, but had to spring them open
slightly, just a bit, so they would slide over the males.

My point, check that your connections are corrosion free and are making a
good snug fit in the back and they are still tight after you install the
control had and secure the wiring.

Unfortunately, in my case, once ST5000 installation was completed, it only
ran long enough to fail in the middle of sea trials and calibration. Tooooo!
expensive to have it serviced by Raymarine. I gather from the online price
list, it would be a flat rate of about $250 and all I would, most likely,
get is another refurbished unit.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Mostly expressing my own frustrations.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions (reverted back to my ole AH3000)