Larry

"Franz Eckert" wrote in
. dk:

Tell me, just to make me real ****ty overhere, what is the comon price
on two used disel engines, around 70-100 HP, with gear and everything?

I bought a used Perkins 4-108 with all controls and transmission from
someone on the rec.boats.cruising newsgroup in North Carolina for $US1200
with 700 hours on it. It's been powering Lionheart ever since. Runs
great. It's only 50hp, though, but that should give you some ideas.

http://www.tadiesels.com/used.html#MENG

That should give you an idea of what they're charging on this side of the
pond.

--
Larry
Larry

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in news:1pMOe.30$dm.3@lakeread03:

Lean engines run hotter which heats up
the injectors more which heats up the fuel more.

Er, ah, we're talking about DIESEL engines, here, not gas.

Diesel engines run "lean" because the intake air isn't restricted in any
way on most of them. Some even have blowers to compress the intake air!
"Lean" means nothing in a diesel. Whatever is there, explodes (at the
appropriate time if we inject it appropriately). The bigger the explosion,
the more power it makes. They don't "run lean" like a gas engine "runs
lean", burning valves, holing pistons, etc. If you take the air cleaner
off, you're looking right into the intake valves on my 4-strokers.

Those that don't "run lean" are the ones pouring black smoke all over your
nice Lexus' white paint....(c;

--
Larry
Larry

"Franz Eckert" wrote in
. dk:

But what i don't really understand. How come that many smaller boats
(Diesel) have fairly small tank's, and yet the Diesel does not seem to
get hotter?

Just an observation to all this.....

Lionheart's 90 gallon diesel tank is INSIDE the starboard passageway
leading aft to the aft cabin (ketch). I've never seen it get any "hotter"
from running the Perkins 4-108 than not. Anyone sitting on the starboard
seat in the center cockpit is sitting right on top of it. Noone's ass gets
burned or even warmed. That would be nice in the winter!...(c;

--
Larry
Franz Eckert

Hi Larry.

That's what i mean.
I think i will try with a simple test, and make a valve that can steer the
fuel two ways.
1. return it to the tank, so i can get the air out.
2. directly back to the feed line after the flow sensor, so that the sensor
only senses the REAL flow from the tank to the engine. Then i will let it
rock for a while, and keep a close look on every detail, like feeling how
hot the fuel lines get, and see if the engines start smoking or in any other
way start behaving drunken :-)

If it get's hot, it must be possible to simply let the fuel go for a spin in
the boat through some copper tube, and let it cool of there before
reentering the fuel line.

I have ordered the parts, so lets see what i get out of that idear.

Anyway, thanx for the link about the engines. That is extremely cheap, and
engine like that would costs twice or even three times the amount here in
Demark.

Franz / Denmark

"Larry" skrev i en meddelelse
"Franz Eckert" wrote in
. dk:

But what i don't really understand. How come that many smaller boats
(Diesel) have fairly small tank's, and yet the Diesel does not seem to
get hotter?

Just an observation to all this.....

Lionheart's 90 gallon diesel tank is INSIDE the starboard passageway
leading aft to the aft cabin (ketch). I've never seen it get any "hotter"
from running the Perkins 4-108 than not. Anyone sitting on the starboard
seat in the center cockpit is sitting right on top of it. Noone's ass
gets
burned or even warmed. That would be nice in the winter!...(c;

--
Larry

Larry

"Franz Eckert" wrote in
. dk:

If it get's hot, it must be possible to simply let the fuel go for a
spin in the boat through some copper tube, and let it cool of there
before reentering the fuel line.

You could simply feed the return oil through a heat exchanger. Any old
Mercedes diesel junk car has a great oil heat exchanger beside the radiator
that would work great. (I have a '73 220D and '83 300TD. Both have them.)
If that works for you, just mount them where the bilge blowers are sucking
air through them and you're in business. The oil coolers on the Mercedes
diesels have oil pressure on them far exceeding any fuel pressure in the
primary loop...(c;

--
Larry

How to install a fuel flow meter in a mercruiser 4.3L 190hp Mvd General 11 March 2nd 05 03:52 AM
Need DZL fuel flow sensor model 150 TC BOEING377 Electronics 0 March 2nd 04 12:43 AM
How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Raw Water Flow Meter Phil Cruising 6 November 8th 03 08:13 PM
Can someone identify this SWR meter? [email protected] Electronics 1 August 26th 03 10:10 PM