Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Matti Raustia

Default NMEA sentence parser

My ST50 Multi outputs a broken NMEA sentence: wind info
(VWR). It splits both sentences as two sentences like this:

$IIVWR,113.,R,,,,,,
$IIVWR,,,,,,,03.0,N

I think it has something to do with SeaTalk, as from complete NMEA dump it
seems like wind direction (the first part) is outputted two times before
wind speed (the latter part) is outputted. The complete sentence looks like
this:

$IIHDM,210.,M
$IIMTW,40.,C
$IIVWR,119.,R,,,,,,
$IIHDM,210.,M
$IIMTW,40.,C
$IIDBT,0011.5,f,,,,
$IIVHW,,,,,00.00,N,,
$IIVWR,113.,R,,,,,,
$IIHDM,210.,M
$IIMTW,40.,C
$IIVWR,113.,R,,,,,,
$IIVWR,,,,,,,03.0,N
$IIDBT,0011.5,f,,,,
$IIHDM,210.,M
$IIMTW,40.,C
$IIVWR,118.,R,,,,,,
$IIVHW,,,,,00.00,N,,
$IIHDM,210.,M
$IIMTW,40.,C

Also the speed sentence is somehow broken as it doesn't contain the heading
info, which is available and outputted in the HDM sentence.

I have fould a quite useful free navigation software (SeaClear) with useful
windtrend and analysis add-ons (SeaTrace and SeaTrack), however because of
these ST50 'features' I can't utilise the wind trend etc. I was wondering if
I could get around the problem with virtual serial ports and a parser
software, which would listen the real serial port, parse the NMEA sentences
and feed them to the virtual serial port which would be listened by the
SeaClear.

Do any of you have an idea which software would be useful in this kind of
situation and where to get it?

thanks,

matti

--
"China is a big country, inhabited by many chinese." - Charles de Gaulle