Irish_Eddie

Default Display Wind Speed and direction on a PC

Anyone know of software that will display wind speed and direction on a
PC avoiding the need for dedicated analog or digital display devices?

Larry

"Irish_Eddie" wrote in
oups.com:

Anyone know of software that will display wind speed and direction on a
PC avoiding the need for dedicated analog or digital display devices?

The Cap'n does....(c;

--
Larry
Irish_Eddie

help me out here - I own Cap'n and cant find where it does or how to
hook up the devices - what version?

Larry

"Irish_Eddie" wrote in
oups.com:

help me out here - I own Cap'n and cant find where it does or how to
hook up the devices - what version?

Hmm...I think we're using 7 at the moment. Tell me about your network.
What instruments do you have connected to what multiplexer?

--
Larry
jeannette

The Cap'n does....(c;

Do you know of sensor that sends NMEA and can be connected directly to
the laptop?

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Carlos, Mexico
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

Matt Colie

Jeanette,
there are some that do, but they are the high buck version. Many
instruments or systems can be configured to output NMEA 0183 sentences
for the infomation that they have and server systems (like old Nexus or
newer NX2) can output almost any of the information that is in the
instrument train.
They and Raymarine both come with a package to do that and a similar
package is available for B&G and Ockum.
Matt Colie

jeannette wrote:
The Cap'n does....(c;

Do you know of sensor that sends NMEA and can be connected directly to
the laptop?

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Carlos, Mexico
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

jeannette

I don't need Seaclear. I have "The Capn". What I need is the sensor
that goes on top of the mast and outputs NMEA so it can be connected
to the PC and displayed.

(In fact I also have a copy of seaclear as a backup)

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Carlos, Mexico
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:17:23 +0000 (UTC), "Stewart Vane-Tempest"
wrote:

SeaClear does it... free!

http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

Stewart

Larry

jeannette wrote in
:

I don't need Seaclear. I have "The Capn". What I need is the sensor
that goes on top of the mast and outputs NMEA so it can be connected
to the PC and displayed.

Check out the B and G "Network" instruments manuals on:
http://www.bandg.com/techsupport.htm
They all daisy-chain together and you put a "Network data cable on the dead
end that puts out all the NMEA 0183 data from all the instruments daisy-
chained together you own. It's what we're using on Lionheart, very
successfully:

NMEA OUTPUT SENTENCES
$IIHDM Heading
$IIVHW Speed and Heading
$IIDBT Depth
$IIVWR Apparent wind angle and speed
$IIMTW Sea temperature

VWR is what you're looking for, I think. From VWR and VHW, I think I
remember The Cap'n calculating the wind triangle for you. "Network"
instruments use NMEA for their data. B&G didn't like that so they dumped
them for H1000 and H2000 systems so you can buy expensive "adapter boxes"
you don't need with "Network". How stupid, B&G....

"Network" instruments are still available.....work great. Lionheart uses a
"Network" compass, speed/log, pilot (autopilot), wind, data (repeater at
chart table), and depth. Her GPS comes from the Raymarine RL70CRC
conversion of Seatalk from the Raymarine WAAS/GPS receiver, not Network
GPS.

You'll need one of Meindert's NMEA multiplexers if you don't have a
multiplexer to add Network (or anyone's) NMEA data to your other NMEA
talkers as only one talker can be on a system without a multiplexer. NMEA
is archaic old RS-422 serial system. If all the devices are "Network"
devices, their daisy-chaining capability negates the need for a
multiplexer, which was the idea.

Too bad Simrad is dumping the Network concept for richer waters.....

73 DE W4CSC
--
Larry
gaffcat

try this link:

http://www.navstore.com/CV3F.asp

A few sailing questions John Cruising 8 September 18th 04 03:03 PM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
Wind speed & Direction masthead unit that outputs NMEA J Electronics 4 October 10th 03 08:04 PM
info wanted: how to use radar new guy Electronics 14 September 11th 03 12:15 AM
Wind or magnetism? Paul General 3 August 14th 03 03:31 PM