Default Robertson AP35 Autopilot Question

Does anyone know if the new AP25 control head can be used as a remote
on an older AP35 system? It looks like they both use the same junction
box which would imply compatability, but it's difficult to get a
straight answer out of Simrad.

If not, I'd be interested in buying a used AP35 control head.

Nope, the AP25 control head does not work on the J300(0)X junction
boxes.
It communicates on Robnet2 and needs the (looks almost the same)
AC10/20/30 box

Note of caution, the AP35 control head does not mix with the AP20/21/22
control heads. (that do work on the J300(0)X junction boxes)

schreef:
Does anyone know if the new AP25 control head can be used as a remote
on an older AP35 system? It looks like they both use the same junction
box which would imply compatability, but it's difficult to get a
straight answer out of Simrad.

If not, I'd be interested in buying a used AP35 control head.

Interesting. Does that mean I could replace my AP35 control head with
an AP20/21/22?? If so, would it still work with my R3000x remote?

Yes, you can replace the AP35 cu with an ap20/21/22 and yes the R3000x
wil still work. You just need to check the software version in your
J-box.
You can see it at startup. I think that V1R6 will work just fine.

Yes, you can replace the AP35 cu with an ap20/21/22 and yes the R3000x
wil still work. You just need to check the software version in your
J-box.
You can see it at startup. I think that V1R6 will work just fine.

Thanks, that's good information. Will Simrad upgrade the J-box
software at a reasonable price if needed? Getting the current version
number may be problematic since the display on my AP35 control head is
defective and getting difficult to read.

I dont know what Simrad (US?) charges for an upgrade. But you can
find out your sw version by removing the top half of the J-box
(disconnect power first!) There is an eprom on the right side with the
version printed on it.
Hmmm defective lcd, ever thought about having it repaired? MIGHT be
cheaper then a new (or used) one.

Good luck!

I got a repair quote from a Simrad dealer last week. Supposedly they
have to replace the entire circuit board at a price approaching the
discounted cost of a new control head. For a few hundred more, I'd
rather have a whole new unit.

Well, it was worth a shot.
Happy boating!