RvdP

Guys,

I do not know how far this thread is diverted from my original
question, but as soon as my M502 is here, I think in two days, I will
hook up the Serial Pin 2 to +NMEA and Serial Pin 5 to -NMEA (Per
Meindert) and I will let you know if the M502 is able to get a fix on
my location.

Ronald.

Meindert Sprang

"RvdP" wrote in message
ups.com...
Guys,

I do not know how far this thread is diverted from my original
question, but as soon as my M502 is here, I think in two days, I will
hook up the Serial Pin 2 to +NMEA and Serial Pin 5 to -NMEA (Per
Meindert) and I will let you know if the M502 is able to get a fix on
my location.

Good idea! ;-)

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"Johnhh" wrote in message
Oh boy, on a scale of one (none) to ten (good), my understanding is

proably
about a 3, so bear with me. To complicate it further, I have lots of

other
Nmea devices to hook up berfore I'm through. Radar, computer, DSC radio,
second or alternate GPS, but we don't need to get into that.

When I hook up the one GPS, both the NMEA in and out are going to be
grounded at or near the GPS. If I understand correctly, you are saying

that
that is ok provided that it is only grounded at one point, correct?

From the GPS to autopilot, this is ok. From another device to the GPS
theoretically it is not ok, but there is not much you can do about it. As
long as you keep signal and ground close together and possibly short runs of
cable, you'll be fine in most cases.

Now, if I run shielded signal wire, where should the shield be grounded,

or
does it matter?

The common consensus is to ground the shield at the talker side, at the side
where the data is generated. Do not use the shield as signal- or ground
return but you can't anyway if you connect the shield only on one side.

Meindert

Johnhh

Thank you Meindert, I feel more comfortable with this now.

Ronald, sorry if I hijacked your thread. The mind is like a cruiser, it
wanders where it will.

John

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Johnhh" wrote in message
Oh boy, on a scale of one (none) to ten (good), my understanding is

proably
about a 3, so bear with me. To complicate it further, I have lots of

other
Nmea devices to hook up berfore I'm through. Radar, computer, DSC radio,
second or alternate GPS, but we don't need to get into that.

When I hook up the one GPS, both the NMEA in and out are going to be
grounded at or near the GPS. If I understand correctly, you are saying

that
that is ok provided that it is only grounded at one point, correct?

From the GPS to autopilot, this is ok. From another device to the GPS
theoretically it is not ok, but there is not much you can do about it. As
long as you keep signal and ground close together and possibly short runs
of
cable, you'll be fine in most cases.

Now, if I run shielded signal wire, where should the shield be grounded,

or
does it matter?

The common consensus is to ground the shield at the talker side, at the
side
where the data is generated. Do not use the shield as signal- or ground
return but you can't anyway if you connect the shield only on one side.

Meindert

RvdP

:-) So True..

RvdP

I've installed the M502 and the GPS unit. I created the GPS cable as
per Meindert.. (pin 2-5).

Works great!

Thanks..

Jack Erbes

RvdP wrote:

I've installed the M502 and the GPS unit. I created the GPS cable as
per Meindert.. (pin 2-5).

Works great!

He's always getting lucky and guessing right on that kind of stuff. :)

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Meindert Sprang

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
RvdP wrote:

I've installed the M502 and the GPS unit. I created the GPS cable as
per Meindert.. (pin 2-5).

Works great!

He's always getting lucky and guessing right on that kind of stuff. :)

Nothing to do with luck. I eat serial for breakfast, or was it cereal....
now I'm confused.... :-))

Meindert

Dennis Pogson

RvdP wrote:
I've installed the M502 and the GPS unit. I created the GPS cable as
per Meindert.. (pin 2-5).

Works great!

Thanks..

Pin 2 -5 eh? Seem to remember this from my early experiments in the
seventies! Not quite like trying to work out the pinouts on a remote
Cd-changer in a car! Thank heaven for multipoint plugs/sockets!

Dennis.

Doug

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
RvdP wrote:

He's always getting lucky and guessing right on that kind of stuff. :)

Nothing to do with luck. I eat serial for breakfast, or was it cereal....
now I'm confused.... :-))

Meindert

Shall we refer to him from now on as our serial killer?

Doug K7ABX