Steve

Default IC-706MKII-G / PC clone software

I find myself between Ham and Marine SSB.

I have a Icom 706 ham transceiver and since I don't have my ham license yet,
I can only operate on the Marine SSB freq. (I have already 'opened' it up)

I also have the OPC 478U /RS232 interface and cable so I could control/tune
the rig from my PC.

Here is the problem, the Icom clone software that is available seems to be
purely for the ham bands and would prohibit tuning to any of the Marine
freq..

If I get a Marine clone/control program, it won't work with my IC-706, since
it isn't considered a marine rig.

Note: these are my assumption, since I haven't purchased either program and
can't find any online information. (the HRO guys say talk to Icom marine and
I can't get a call through to them..

I realize that there are those who are Ham oriented and have the HRO
attitude and I shouldn't have a "Ham Rig" but as I stated in earlier posts,
I plan to get my ham license when the code requirement is dropped (near
future, I hear). I have a mental/hearing block problem with audio code. Been
trying "off and on" since '55.

For my summer cruise I want to be able to quickly tune to the many ITU
marine channels with the ease of a marine radio. (I guess I won't make a
very good Ham since I get tired of "Spinning the Big Knob"). The IC 706 has
100 memories but I have trouble keeping track of which ones I have
programmed for what..

Does anyone know of any 3rd party software that will work with the
IC-706MKIIG??

I found one mentioned by Creative Services Software but I can't get much
more information on line. Can call them tomorrow.

Maybe if I'm patient, Icom Marine will return my call tomorrow (or next
year).

I would appreciate some constructive recommendations.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

sded

Ham Radio Deluxe, at http://www.hb9drv.ch/ ,seems happy to tune outside the ham
bands and is free. I use it with a 706-II for the marine bands.
"Steve" wrote:

[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-0, 06/13/2005
Tested on: 6/13/2005 7:59:45 PM

Steve

Thanks, I just downloaded it and will give it a try..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

"Steve" wrote in
:

Here is the problem, the Icom clone software that is available seems
to be purely for the ham bands and would prohibit tuning to any of the
Marine freq..

That's because it isn't legal and Icom doesn't want to go to court to
defend itself. Only "type accepted" commercial gear is allowed on the
marine bands, except if you declare an emergency.

Anyone can own a ham radio transceiver. That's not illegal unless you
transmit on any frequency you are not licensed for. Before 9/11 and the
Patriot Act, you got a slap on the wrist. Now, unlicensed operation can be
considered an act of terrorism if you **** 'em off bad enough, with some
serious jail time!

I don't know of a single dyslexic who couldn't copy the stupid 5wpm current
code speed test for a General or Extra Class ham ticket. My record was a
7-year-old, who failed the first code test, not because he couldn't copy
the code at 13 WPM, but because his big 2nd Grade letters ran him out of
paper before the test was over! We gave him plenty of paper on the 2nd try
and he passed...(c; Novice at 7, General at 9, Extra Class at 11. He's a
broadcast engineer, now. Ham radio ruined his whole life!

I'd like to recommend the Icom M802 marine radio. If you hold down MODE +
TX + the number 2 key for 3 seconds it will doublebeep. This opens the
M802 transmitter to transmit from 1.5-30 Mhz inclusive. If you press the
RX key, the display and big knobs switch from channlized marine to general
coverage frequency mode. The left big knob positions the cursor on the
freq display while the right knob acts as a VFO adjusting frequency like an
old analog radio, in 100 Hz, 1Khz, 10Khz, 1 Mhz steps. It's a great ham
rig with this feature. It also has hundreds of user memories, in addition
to the fixed marine channel memories. There are banks of them.

It's a nice radio but must be kept totally DRY as it is not waterproof what
with the cooling fan sucking in sea air to cool the internal
heatsinks.....idiots.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.

Steve

I played around with HamRadio Deluxe last nite and found it very handy.

However, after programing and saving all the Simplex freq. I started doing
some of the more important Duplex channels. After about an hour, I went back
to load in a few duplex and found that HRDeluxe doesn't save both VFO
frequencies and even though you can switch back and forth from 'split' and
simplex, it doesn't seem to have the ability to SAVE to file, both VFO freq.

I might be missing something and will bring this up in their forum..

Thanks again for the tip on this program. I can live with it inspit of this.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Just got off HRO forum and found this feature (lack) had been noted by
others and was to be dealt with in the next revision.

Nice bunch of guys, doing great things.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions