Bryan G

Default CD player with Anti-Shock or Anti-Skip

I'm trying to find a good marine or any type stereo/CD player unit that has
very good anti-shock or anti-skip abilities. I run a lot in choppy
conditions with my 20ft. Chaparral and I get a get a lot of skipping of the
CD's. I had a 4 year old JVC KD-SX650 in the boat which I don't know if it
had that feature or not. I just put in a Kenwood KDC-3025MRCC (which only
lists 8x over-sampling) on a WestMarine rep's recommendation and tested it
today in medium and hard chop and it was about the same performance as the
older JVC. Lot's of skipping!! All the marine store people say the same as
the Best-Buy and Circuit City, that all but the very cheapest stereo's have
some anti-skip feature, even though you don't even see it in the specs. I
noticed the marine type Jensens yet cheaper than the Kenwood, still list
Anti-Shock and 8x over-sampling as a feature, but lack some higher end
features as Sirius ready. I might just try one anyway. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Bryan

Kees Verruijt

Bryan G wrote:
I'm trying to find a good marine or any type stereo/CD player unit that has
very good anti-shock or anti-skip abilities.

Look at what the young kids do: get rid of your CD's and convert
everything (legally!) to MP3. You can have hundreds of CD's on your MP3
player feeding thru an AUX input on the radio and _guaranteed_ no skipping!

-- Kees
Larry W4CSC

"Bryan G" wrote in

Thanks,
Bryan

Brian, don't allow anyone to bring their XM satellite radio on the boat.
It'll ruin you for listening to that radio.

If you'd rather have a nice player without the CD mess in the boat, may I
suggest the Digital Mind Xclef 500 hard drive player?
http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html
I use the 100 GB player in a surplus Air Force Chevy stepvan I converted
into an electronics shop and mobile disk jockey business. It never skips
as the hard drive loads 12MB of RAM which is what the player plays from.
With this much memory, the hard drive only comes on to reload it about
every 8 minutes with more MP3 music. If it's bounced, the hard drive just
keeps trying. The 100GB hard drive in mine is a Toshiba 2.5" laptop drive,
a standard drive not some proprietary crap. It's rated for 350Gs parked
and 180Gs accessing data, when it protects itself from a shock sensor chip.
It's amazingly rugged. Just rip your CDs to MP3s and store on a player.

When you plug THIS player into a USB port, Windows correctly treats it as a
portable hard drive, NOT SOME PROPRIETARY MUSIC PLAYER YOU HAVE TO USE
SPECIAL SOFTWARE WITH TO SATISFY THE MUSIC INDUSTRY. There is no copy
protection nonsense. You can use your favorite file handler to simply copy
any MP3, WMA, OGG, or WAV file to the player as you would from hard drive
to hard drive...no funny business. It stores 3500 hours of MP3 at
128Kbps...a HUGE collection. You can buy smaller drives 20, 40, 60, 80GB
for less money. You can also buy it with no drive if you already have a
2.5" standard laptop drive quite cheaply. It is not a tiny player and
comes in a belt-clip leather carrying case. On a boat, who cares. Just
put it in a cabinet. If you plug an FM transmitter into it like:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...egory%5Fname=C
TLG%5F007%5F014%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=12%2D2054
Then it will broadcast to any FM radio, like the one already installed in
the boat. The XM satellite radio comes with an FM transmitter, too.

CDs suck in a boat....scratched, lost, hard to store safely....
Anything is better.

Proprietary, hobbled-on-purpose Ipods from Apple SUCK!

Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.

Larry W4CSC

Kees Verruijt wrote in
ll.nl:

Look at what the young kids do: get rid of your CD's and convert
everything (legally!) to MP3. You can have hundreds of CD's on your
MP3 player feeding thru an AUX input on the radio and _guaranteed_ no
skipping!

-- Kees

By all means makes sure you spend $15 for a nearly empty 29c CD. Don't be
downloading from alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.(genre here) on Usenet where noone
can catch anyone....(c; Let your concience be your guide.....the RIAA is
watching!