TheJouster

Default Dongle?

Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec Admiral 7 or
does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what the dongle is
protecting?

Jack Erbes

TheJouster wrote:

Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec Admiral 7 or
does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what the dongle is
protecting?

It is a piece of hardware that prevents the software from being used in
more than one place at a time. It would normally go on a printer port
(they may have them for USB by now) and the program reads a key off of
an IC attached to the dongle port to verify the presence of the dongle
before it will allow the program to run or maybe do anything meaningful.

If I remember right the dongle unlocked Admiral 7 and the charts had
numerical unlock keys that you had to get either by phone or online.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Derek Adams

A USB dongle is also used for C-Map charts to protect the charts from being
used in more than one place at a time.

I use C-Map charts with 'Software on board' PC based plotter software from
Digiboat.

SOB is free but you need the charts to be able to use it effectively. The
latest version includes AIS,ARPA and Radar displays.

Derek Adams

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
TheJouster wrote:

Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec Admiral 7
or does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what the dongle is
protecting?

It is a piece of hardware that prevents the software from being used in
more than one place at a time. It would normally go on a printer port
(they may have them for USB by now) and the program reads a key off of an
IC attached to the dongle port to verify the presence of the dongle before
it will allow the program to run or maybe do anything meaningful.

If I remember right the dongle unlocked Admiral 7 and the charts had
numerical unlock keys that you had to get either by phone or online.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Jack Erbes

Derek Adams wrote:
A USB dongle is also used for C-Map charts to protect the charts from being
used in more than one place at a time.

I use C-Map charts with 'Software on board' PC based plotter software from
Digiboat.

SOB is free but you need the charts to be able to use it effectively. The
latest version includes AIS,ARPA and Radar displays.

I guess that would be because the charts that are unlocked on the CD
could be copied to more than one PC or hard drive? Without the dongle
they could be used in more than one place at the same time?

I'm only familiar with the C-Map charts on the NT+ chips. On those you
buy the chip preloaded with charts and whoever has it can use it.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Larry W4CSC

"TheJouster" wrote in

Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec Admiral
7 or does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what the
dongle is protecting?

I consider it a gadget to prevent me from buying their product. I never
pay for copy protection, the reason the computers here still run Win98SE,
which isn't.

If "we" refuse to buy it, as "we" did when they played these games back in
the 80's with DOS piling up copy protection schemes until it was
absurd...."they" will eliminate it as the revenue suddenly drops as
customers refuse to play the games.....

Other products don't have dongles. Buy them. They are better.

Dennis Pogson

TheJouster wrote:
Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec
Admiral 7 or does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what
the dongle is protecting?

Never let your dongle dangle.

Kees Verruijt

TheJouster wrote:
Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec Admiral 7 or
does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what the dongle is
protecting?

With Nobeltec Admiral, it's mainly there for protecting the
_international_ Passport charts. You can even buy the dongle separately
(although this is included in the initial package price).

When you buy Admiral it comes with a license number that allows you to
install the software and have it operate permanently. If you have the
dongle you don't need to register your PC, without the dongle you do
need to do this (or it stops working).

International Passport charts do _NOT_ work without a dongle present in
the physical PC they're being watched on. Having a different PC in the
network with a separate Admiral license and a dongle is not enough.

-- Kees
Kees Verruijt

TheJouster wrote:
Can someone explain a dongle to me. Does it come with Nobeltec Admiral 7 or
does it come with the charts. I'm not exactly sure what the dongle is
protecting?

You may want to subscribe to the Nobeltec newsgroup "support" at
news.nobeltec.com and ask your question there.

-- Kees
TheJouster

Thanks for all the replys, and yes i did try at the nobeltec newsgroups with
no answers. Anyhow I think ill wait to upgrade, i dont need the new chart
cause im in canada and i dont think they even have passport charts up here
yet.

"Kees Verruijt" wrote in message
l.nl...

Maxsea v10 Dongle Crack Skeune General 1 September 23rd 03 11:36 AM
REQ: Crack MAXSEA V10 (Dongle protected) patrice ASA 0 September 2nd 03 06:03 PM