Mic

Default FRS Walkie Talkies VS GMRS for crusing

Links:

http://www.provide.net/~prsg/wi-gmrs.htm

The General Mobile Radio Service
A More Detailed Description

"Some "bubble pack" radios (so called because they are packaged in a
"blister pack") sold at consumer electronics stores are available for
even less, often combined with a capability to communicate on FRS
channels as well. (However, most such "bubble pack" radios are not
capable of transmitting on the GMRS 467 MHz frequencies, and are thus
not capable of communicating through conventional GMRS repeaters.)"

http://www.leeselect.com/uniden/frs_combos_flash.htm

Today's FRS radios may become more popular than CB's ever were.
These radios are the early revolution of the personal communicator.

FRS are older tech?
GMRS are new tech and greater range?

Falky foo

FRS are older tech?
GMRS are new tech and greater range?

naw, FRS is limited in xmitting power moreso than GMRS. Ostensibly you need
a license for GMRS but nobody I know has bothered with one since they're
$75.

Falky foo

$75.00 for 10 years

really, I thought it was 4 years.. but still, no test, no nothin, just
cash.. a way for the FCC to raise money. You don't even have to use your
callsign on the air. I was willing to get a license for 2 meter, HF, etc.,
because I thought it was important, but this is just a money grab.

Rick

Falky foo wrote:
$75.00 for 10 years

really, I thought it was 4 years.. but still, no test, no nothin, just
cash.. a way for the FCC to raise money. You don't even have to use your
callsign on the air. I was willing to get a license for 2 meter, HF, etc.,
because I thought it was important, but this is just a money grab.

That is my feelings too.

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Rick wrote:

Falky foo wrote:
$75.00 for 10 years

really, I thought it was 4 years.. but still, no test, no nothin, just
cash.. a way for the FCC to raise money. You don't even have to use your
callsign on the air. I was willing to get a license for 2 meter, HF, etc.,
because I thought it was important, but this is just a money grab.

That is my feelings too.

Nope, it is a way to regulate the Radio Service. If they have to track
you down, then they have your License Suspension to hang over you. If
you don't have a license when they track you down, then you PAY, Big
Time, for operating an Unlicensed Station.
For FRS, you are covered under the National Blanket License, but you
have no interference protection, and also no standing for complaining
about other operations on your frequency.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Larry W4CSC

Rick wrote in
:

$75.00 for 10 years

High license prices for commercial radio licenses is supposed to drive you
to pay Motorola to monthly rent a trunked radio from them, solving your
problem of high license and radio prices.

THAT is the real moneygrab....trunked radio from Motorola.

Another corporation with the FCC in its pocket.....