Mic

On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:02:42 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

On Mon, 09 May 2005 00:04:26 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Mic writes:

Hey larry:

Got the shaft driven alternator image, you made that LIVE....
A Larry Repost:
Date: 27 Jan 2004 05:10:53
From: Larry W4CSC
Subject: Bike powered alternator to charge
The very-fast-turning car alternator is the wrong one.....

Aboard "Lionheart", a French-made Amel Sharki 41' cruising ketch, one
of the ways we recharge its two banks of 700AH batteries is with a
"shaft alternator". This slow-turning alternator puts out about
20-25A of DC when turned by the free-wheeling driveshaft as the
sailboat's prop is dragged through the water at about 8-11 knots by
the sail power. These alternators are designed to run MUCH slower
than car alternators, and probably more important to the poor pedaler,
they are more efficient, designed to run off minimal drive power that
is available. Here's a good article on shaft alternators your bike
would have no problem powering, right off the pedaled wheel:

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=ouread0028

We also use a Windcharger, a solar panel on the cockpit's hard top,
and 70A and 125A alternators driven by the Perkins 4-108 4-cyl 50hp
main propulsion diesel engine.

Power-R-Us to run radar, chart plotters, computers, lighting, water
pumps, bilge pumps, microwave oven, fans, and an extensive electronics
navigation suite I've installed since bringing her to Charleston from
Satellite Beach, FL.

I just got through installing an 802.11b wireless broadband router to
interface the computer with the NMEA data network without dragging a
cable around the boat. You can lay in your beanbag on deck and
navigate with the software on the laptop....(c; THIS is livin'!
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

What make and type of shaft alternator do you have? Did you make any
mods to it?
I know of Canadian company that makes mods to alternators for this
shaft type driven system, but mucho$$. Presently cant find the link.

http://www.tor.cc/articles/energy.htm
THE INTEGRATED ENERGY SYSTEM
The Optimum Electrical Power System
for the Cruising Sailboat

http://www.solarwindwater.com/

http://www.bagelhole.org/section.php/Energy/

http://www.scoraigwind.com/index.htm
Offers a school to teach you how to build a wind genny

http://www.cbel.com/wind_energy/
All kinds of links

http://www.tlgwindpower.com/tips.htm
WIND ENERGY CAN BE AFFORDABLE
with low cost high output blades
Tips and Tricks for building your own Generator

A quote from someone (not me)
" All joking aside, I used an alternater from a 350 Chev engine (That
is
what the auto parts shop told me), big mistake and great learning
experience. I can pedal for about 2 minits with the alternater
spinning at just over 1800 RPM (it cuts in at 1340 RPM). "

If you have an outboard with this shaft system doesnt apply, but mods
to a small HP lower unit may work.

If you do a serch on electric boats is amazing what mods they make.

Heres a link to an alternator (car size) mounted to a outboard. Very
cool and great idea......

http://www.geocities.com/grampi2000/sidealt.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/grampi2000/altnocap.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/grampi2000/birdalt.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/grampi2000/electric.html
http://www.geocities.com/grampi2000/electric2.html

If Frank E. Stein had a wife what would her 1st name be?
(Hint: it relates to the mods in this thread)

Mic

Larry this is the link I was looking for:

http://ca.geocities.com/the_spartina/gear/real3.htm

GEAR: John's Prop Shaft Alternator review

http://www.hamiltonferris.com/2.html#Alternators
POWERMAX High Output Alternators charge batteries up to 5 TIMES FASTER
than standard alternators. This means drastically reduced engine
running time, saving fuel, engine wear, and noise. A standard
"automobile-type alternator is designed only to replace the minimal
engine-starting draw.

When you use an alternator what about the power it uses to energize
the "fields"? How many amps is that?

BTW thank for the effort.
Richard J Kinch

Mic writes:

Water moving horizontally at 10 knots equals about a 4 foot static
head pressure. If you figure out how to economically generate power
from that, get a patent, because there is endless tidal energy
available at that differential.

Well I have re-research this concept and am providing the following
links:

Some clever improvisations, but none that are economical in terms of
$/kW-hr.

electrical drain William G. Andersen Electronics 8 April 4th 05 04:23 AM
Fishfinder??? Bobsprit ASA 31 January 26th 04 09:06 PM
Steel hull - electrical ground Joao Penha-Lopes Electronics 16 October 18th 03 01:57 PM
Steel hull - electrical ground Joao Penha-Lopes Cruising 1 September 4th 03 09:43 PM
Electrical problem Terry Spragg Electronics 1 July 8th 03 04:49 PM