Doug Dotson

Wasn't aware that anyone was making a serial-USB converter
for marine use.

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

cheaper, no ROM chip needed

Cheap? Us?! BOATERS?!!!

Doug

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Jsp wrote:

My Furuno GPS can be connected to a PC by a serial cable. The wiring
diagram can be viewed on the GPS itself. But: my laptop doesn't have a
serial port. Is there a way to make a USB-cable instead? (And to have
some chartplotting program recognize this)?

What you need is called a serial to USB adapter or converter.

You can find them at places like CompUSA, Fryes, Circuit City, Best Buy,
Staples, etc. The ones made by Belkin seem to be widely acceptable, I
have never found a serial input (including a number of GPS NMEA inputs)
that would not work with the one I have.

It is a short (10" or so) cable with a USB plug on one end and a small
housing with a DB9P connector (looks just like your missing serial port
socket) on the other.

The Belkin I have (model F5U109) also has three LEDs (RX, TX, LINK) to
indicate status of the serial connection and traffic flow.

If you are into shopping around for one, try eBay. There are hundreds
of them for sale there every day. A search for "serial usb" will turn up
a bunch.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

For a simple GPS to laptop, any of the run of the mill converters mentioned
should work. However, for bi-directional use with a lot of data, only a few
more costly units seem to work consistently. I have found this to be the
case in programming ham radio and marine radio handhelds such as
Vertex/Standard units. My old favorite Belkin failed me there. Raymarine
recommends the Sealevel 2105 or 2201 serial port to USB for their RayTech
RNS 5.0 software.
I don't recall what Furuno or Northstar recommends, but they have similar
suggestions.

73
Doug K7ABX

Peter Hendra

On Sat, 7 May 2005 17:36:33 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

The additional ports are true serial ports. I've never had any problems with
the device.

Doug

Hi,
I am running CMap software on a laptop. I am using a USB to serial
port adapter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There seems
to be no logic as to why CMap sometimes fails to accept the input. The
"on" and data lights on the PFranc brand flash but CMap says that
there is no connection. I have been using it for 4 years now. I have
tested other brands for friends on other laptops and some just do not
make a connection.

Is it CMap?

Any suggestions.
Peter Hendra