Richard J Kinch

Default Mounting radio in an inflatable boat

I have a 14' Zodiac-style inflatable boat with no console or other
provision for instruments, and I want to mount a console-style VHF radio
somewhere on it. The plywood floor and transom are the only solid
items available for mounting things.

I bolted a stainless antenna mount on the inside of the transom for the 8'
antenna, and that works well. The radio works OK just lashed onto
something, but kicking it around and splashing it can't continue.

I would buy a small fiberglass console to mount on the floor, but at
several $100s they seem expensive.

Any ideas? I can work in aluminum and stainless.

I've consider a stainless hoop over the transom; somewhere aft of the
transom would free up scarce space on the deck area.
Dennis Pogson

Richard J Kinch wrote:
I have a 14' Zodiac-style inflatable boat with no console or other
provision for instruments, and I want to mount a console-style VHF
radio somewhere on it. The plywood floor and transom are the
only solid items available for mounting things.

I bolted a stainless antenna mount on the inside of the transom for
the 8' antenna, and that works well. The radio works OK just lashed
onto something, but kicking it around and splashing it can't continue.

I would buy a small fiberglass console to mount on the floor, but at
several $100s they seem expensive.

Any ideas? I can work in aluminum and stainless.

I've consider a stainless hoop over the transom; somewhere aft of the
transom would free up scarce space on the deck area.

Use a yacht stanchion socket scewed to the floor, and make a removeable
stanchion with a small platform or box at the top, to fit your radio. A
split pin will prevent the stanchion from moving, and you can dismantle the
"console" in seconds.

Dennis

--
Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Mounting radio in an inflatable boat Richard J Kinch Boat Building 3 April 25th 05 09:57 PM
What was it like 4 U Joe ASA 264 December 28th 04 11:26 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM