Mike G

Default Ancor "Wire Tracker"

In article ,
says...
Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying one of the "Wire Tracker" kits from Ancor, and
was wondering if anyone had ever used one of these. I'm trying to
rewire, and have 20 years worth of "spaghetti" that I'd like to track
down and remove, if possible. Here are some questions for discussion.

1. I've seen telephone guys use something like this, and I believe
I've seen them at Home Depot or Lowes. Harris is the manufacturer,
IIRC. Is the Wire Tracker basically the same thing? Any advantages
to either?

2. Would one of the telephone units (i.e., Harris) be better/more
reliable/more useful/more flexible?

3. Exactly what does "unergized", as used in the Wire Tracker
literature, mean?

4. The Ancor unit seems to be much more "cost effective" than the
Home Depot ones. Any reason?

5. Does anyone actually use these things for their intended purpose?

Thanks all,
SS

Un energized means no power, disconnect the battery.

We used to call the telephone units bliffy sniffers and they work ok

Frankly, for DC wiring, both boat and auto I find that a simple VOM
meter and twenty or thirty feet of primary wire with gator clips on
either end works as well as anything. The only time a bliffy sniffer is
of any real asset is if the wires are bundled and there is no or
confusing color coding. If all you want to do is make sure that a wire
goes from point A to point B with no breaks or shorts or find out where
point B is the there isn't any need to get fancy.

Clip the primary wire to one end of the circuit to be checked, the other
to the VOM and an with the lengths mentioned you can move all over a
vehicle checking for continuity. If the VOM has an audible continuity
test so much the better.

Note, bliffy sniffer is not a brand name!

Note; For either method, if the wires lead back to a common distribution
panel, IE fuse panel you've got to remove all the fuses.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net
Glenn Ashmore

This is a perfect example of charging more by implying "marine" use. The
Ancor version is a rip off.

Check out the GB Instruments Lan Tracker. GB makes the Acnor wire tracker.
The Lan Tracker has connections for ethernet, telephone and coax as well as
regular wires. Available from Amazon for $20 less than the more basic Ancor
Wire tracker. The GB version of the simple Ancor Wire tracker (exactly the
same thing) is $25 less. Amazon link to Lan Tracker:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=495310

BTW, they do work pretty well. I can pick a wire out of a bundle pretty
easily with mine.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com