Me

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

You'd think that we would have enough smart guys on this group to do a
little, ahem, reverse engineering.

The problen is CopyRight, not reverse engineering........

Me

Jim Donohue

Copyright is never a problem in such situations. You cannot copyright
facts...only form. So the actual information and structure is free of
copyright.

The standard itself is copyrighted and cannot be distributed. But the
content of the standard is fair game. In fact if one had a copy and simply
published the meat in plain text there is likely no recourse. I would of
course do it anonymously. The mere fact that it is legal will not keep you
from being sued.

Jim Donohue

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Right, plus you need to fork over a bunch of $$ to get your company
unique ID.

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

You'd think that we would have enough smart guys on this group to do a
little, ahem, reverse engineering.

The problen is CopyRight, not reverse engineering........

Me

Steve

Nice one Doug.
Steve B

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Right, plus you need to fork over a bunch of $$ to get your company
unique ID.

Doug Dotson

I can;t recall what the exact amount is, but it pretty much forces any
would-be
small scale developer out of the market. I seem to recall it is around $2500
but
I'm not sure. I gave up on it a long time ago.

Doug

"Steve" wrote in message
Nice one Doug.
Steve B

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Right, plus you need to fork over a bunch of $$ to get your company
unique ID.

Meindert Sprang

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
I can;t recall what the exact amount is, but it pretty much forces any
would-be
small scale developer out of the market. I seem to recall it is around

$2500
but
I'm not sure. I gave up on it a long time ago.

To get your first product going, it costs $10,500. This includes
manufacturer ID, product ID, manual costs, approval costs, test suite etc.

Meindert

Doug Dotson

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
I can;t recall what the exact amount is, but it pretty much forces any
would-be
small scale developer out of the market. I seem to recall it is around

$2500
but
I'm not sure. I gave up on it a long time ago.

To get your first product going, it costs $10,500. This includes
manufacturer ID, product ID, manual costs, approval costs, test suite etc.

Meindert

Kind of locks out the small-time developer. Perhaps that is the intent.

Meindert Sprang

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Kind of locks out the small-time developer. Perhaps that is the intent.

It certainly keeps me from doing anything with NMEA2000.

Meindert

Kees Verruijt

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message

Kind of locks out the small-time developer. Perhaps that is the intent.

It certainly keeps me from doing anything with NMEA2000.

Meindert

Meindert,

Fortunately for you NMEA 2000 doesn't seem to catch on (yet) as it
doesn't require multiplexers: it allows multiple talkers on the bus.

I guess there would still be a market for a RS232/USB - CAN/NMEA2000
- NMEA0183 interface converter though...

-- Kees
Gerald

Soooo, if a group of guys got together and formed a loose confederation of
propeller-headed geeks, couldn't they share the cost of the Manufacturer
ID, and other costs except for Product Cost: Each propeller-head could pick
up their own producid ID cost. This would certainly reduce the cost of
entry for the little guy. Anyone seen the contracts?