BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Tinned wire (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/29524-tinned-wire.html)

Steve March 25th 05 01:57 AM

Tinned wire

I realize that this might be a prompt for lots of argument but anyway....

I have just started rewiring the 12V side of my boat. While ripping out
the miles of cable that seemed to power big blobs of ancient insulating
tape I have noticed that the continued wire seems to have survived well.
i.e. the boat is 20 years old and the original stuff is which was mainly
continued is fine. I can see no signs of corrosion even after stripping
large lengths. The insulation is a different matter in some cases. It is
in a poor state, especially were it is exposed to heat or sun but that
is a different issue.

So the question is: Is tinned copper really necessary? It is more than
twice the price of pure copper and has the same insulation! I am
prepared for quotes from various recommendations and standards (many of
which I have read) but what I would really like is some real empirical
engineering info here. I have been involved in standards bodies and know
how they work. Good ideas can very easily become mandatory requirements
because it could be critical in some obscure cases. I was trained as an
engineer which is to say I can live with the concept of good enough for
purpose. If the life expectancy of pure copper is half that of tinned
and tinned will last 30+ years, I can live with having to change the
wire again in 15 years.

Steve

Doug Dotson March 25th 05 04:05 AM

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

If the ends of the wire can be sealed from moisture then non-tinned wires
will work fine. I've seen corroded wire up more than a foot under the
insulation. If tinned wires is used then one can use crimped connectors
without
sealing the ends.

Doug

Evan Gatehouse March 25th 05 06:09 AM

Steve wrote:
[...]

I had a similarly aged boat and the older wire varied a lot when
removed. Some of the wire was black with corrosion, some was just a
little dull, and some was shiny. More exposed wire, or wire where
wicking from outside fixtures was possible tended to suffer more.

Is tinned wire necessary? Probably not inside the boat for
non-critical systems like cabin lights. For instruments, and
navigation lights I'd say bite the bullet and use tinned wire. But do
shop around. Many makers of tinned wire sell spools of wire for a lot
less than Ancor at the local West Marine! One fellow regularly sells
on ebay.

Oh, on my boat all new wire is going to be tinned. Thankfully the
electrical system currently consists of 4 lights, 2 nav lights
(tricolour and masthead), a VHF, GPS, and depthsounder. It's rather
spartan right now in the electrical department.

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore March 25th 05 12:44 PM

One thing I have noticed after working with several brands is that marine
grade wire is built up from much smaller strands than the standard wire you
get at Home Despot. That makes them more flexable and less prone to fatigue
breaks.

If you do some looking you can find some great deals of marine wire. I
figure I have more than a mile of wire in Rutu and have never paid much more
than 50% of list price.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

chuck March 25th 05 03:10 PM

Hello Steve,

You have my sympathy. Getting the quantitative data you're
looking for seems near impossible.

To my understanding, admittedly subject to recalibration,
neither the USCG nor the ABYC standard requires tinned
copper conductors.

The ads often read "our tinned copper wire meets ABYC
standards" suggesting that tinning is part of the standard,
when the conformance reference is technically to stranding,
insulation, and color!

We know that tin oxidizes more slowly than copper, and that
the copper oxides that form when copper corrodes are
non-conductive.

Beyond that, all I can find are anecdotal and largely
unscientific reports, and the "tinned copper reduces
corrosion" mantra.

Good luck

Chuck

Bruce in Alaska March 25th 05 09:02 PM

In article , chuck
wrote:

We know that tin oxidizes more slowly than copper, and that
the copper oxides that form when copper corrodes are
non-conductive.

Beyond that, all I can find are anecdotal and largely
unscientific reports, and the "tinned copper reduces
corrosion" mantra.

Good luck

Chuck

also be advised that Copper wire in the presents of Battery Acid fumes
corrodes extremely quickly into copper sulfate, (Blue Powder) and that
doesn't conduct electricity very well at all. The tin plating provides
a good protection from this type of corrosion, the same as it does for
Salt Water vapors.

Bruce in alaska also a retired chemist, from way, way back......
--
add a 2 before @

Steve March 26th 05 02:39 AM

Good point but unfortunately the only wire of sufficient conductor area
(16+mm^2) I have been able to find that goes anywhere need the batteries
is just untinned copper. In this case I have used welding cable because
it has better insulation than other stuff I have found. I have also
sealed the ends well.

If the stuff I am talking about here (1-2 mm^2 from the dis panel) is
getting battery fumes I am in real trouble!

Steve March 26th 05 03:03 AM

All,

Thanks for the replies. It should mention that just about all the wire I
am working on at the moment is internal to the boat.

I think I will continue to use the untinned wire (bargains on marine
cable are not common in NZ) but seal the ends as suggested. I am aware
of the issue with fatigue if the copper is too thick and so will use
something with lots of thin strands. I also solder all the small crimp
connectors as well as crimp them which I believe will offer some protection.

For the nav lights (front, back and mast) I an leaving the existing wire
in place as it is tinned and in excellent condition.

Thanks again,

Steve

Larry W4CSC March 26th 05 04:02 AM

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

also be advised that Copper wire in the presents of Battery Acid fumes
corrodes extremely quickly into copper sulfate, (Blue Powder) and that
doesn't conduct electricity very well at all. The tin plating provides
a good protection from this type of corrosion, the same as it does for
Salt Water vapors.

Bruce in alaska also a retired chemist, from way, way back......

There you go, Bruce....ruining good towing jobs when the cheapskates'
wiring rots through putting them in the dark.....(c;

Keep an eye out behind you! One of those tow guys may take a pot shot!!

Doug Dotson March 26th 05 04:40 PM

"Steve" wrote in message ...
All,

Thanks for the replies. It should mention that just about all the wire I
am working on at the moment is internal to the boat.

I think I will continue to use the untinned wire (bargains on marine cable
are not common in NZ) but seal the ends as suggested. I am aware of the
issue with fatigue if the copper is too thick and so will use something
with lots of thin strands. I also solder all the small crimp connectors as
well as crimp them which I believe will offer some protection.

From what I have read, solder and crimping is not a good idea. Soldering is
not neccesary when using a proper crimp connector. Soldering has a number
of drawbacks. A good crimp connection that is sealed against moisture
is about as good as it gets.

Sailct41 March 26th 05 05:19 PM

Crimp or solder but not both. Soldering a connection that is crimped is
thought to weaken it, and crimping a previously soldered connector would
probably lead to a cold solder joint. I suggest that a good way to do your
internal connections would be to crimp the wire and then use the heat shrink
from West Marine that has glue inside. Not only does the shrink provide
protection but the glue seals against moisture. When I last did my battery
cables I used my rigging crimping tool to crimp the connectors to the heavy
wire (two crimps, at right angles to each other) and used the heat shrink
(and for god sakes use a gun, not a lighter) with adhesive. After three
years I had no corrosion at all either at the terminals or underneth them
(did a modification to add additional golf carts).

Scott
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message ...
All,

Thanks for the replies. It should mention that just about all the wire I
am working on at the moment is internal to the boat.

I think I will continue to use the untinned wire (bargains on marine

cable
are not common in NZ) but seal the ends as suggested. I am aware of the
issue with fatigue if the copper is too thick and so will use something
with lots of thin strands. I also solder all the small crimp connectors

as
well as crimp them which I believe will offer some protection.

From what I have read, solder and crimping is not a good idea. Soldering

is

Bruce in Alaska March 26th 05 07:18 PM

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

also be advised that Copper wire in the presents of Battery Acid fumes
corrodes extremely quickly into copper sulfate, (Blue Powder) and that
doesn't conduct electricity very well at all. The tin plating provides
a good protection from this type of corrosion, the same as it does for
Salt Water vapors.

Bruce in alaska also a retired chemist, from way, way back......

There you go, Bruce....ruining good towing jobs when the cheapskates'
wiring rots through putting them in the dark.....(c;

Keep an eye out behind you! One of those tow guys may take a pot shot!!

I live so far out that we only have had one "Float By" sooting in
the last 15 years, and they were not shooting at me, just the neighbors
5 miles down the beach.........

Bruce in alaska who does actually live out in the alaskan bush.....
--
add a 2 before @

Jim Donohue March 28th 05 01:49 AM

"Steve" wrote in message ...
All,

Thanks for the replies. It should mention that just about all the wire
am working on at the moment is internal to the boat.

This is an age old discussion that has more aspects than one can easily
comprehend.

First ABYC is down on solder only. It argues that a connection based on
solder alone may fail from heat at some inoppportune moment. So no straight
solder joints.

Crimps are, as is often suggested, very reliable when properly made. How do
you tell if they are properly made? You can't. Only real way to QC the
thing is to section it and check with a microscope. Note that too much
crimp is actually worse than too little. You can pull check a crimp and
eliminate a too little crimp but an over crimp is pretty close to being
undetectable visually. If you have a suitable bridge you might pick it up
by an impedance change but that is going a little far.

It is a very repeatable technique. If you make a good crimp or two the next
10 thousand are virtually certain to be as good. If however the first is
bad....

I know a bit about this after having to change out tens of thousands of
harnesses in the field when bad crimps in the main AC connections were found
on a device.

Soldering a crimp does not weaken the crimp. The concern is that it creates
a hard point up the wire where vibration will cause a stress cracking. I
would think that if carefully limited to the connector barrel by the use of
a suitable heat sink it would lead to a quite suitable connection.
Otherwise you must support the wiring mechanically somewhere back of the
solder.

I personally would crimp, solder with heat sink and use an inch of the
sealing heat shrink to support the connection.

I would also believe that a matched set of connectors and new crimp dies in
the proper tool are equally as good as the above crimp and solder. However
with generic crimping tools (even of the ratchet sort) and WM
connectors...you are on your own.

Calder is interesting on this one. Volume one recommends crimp and solder.
Volume two lists the authorities as believing good crimp is as good or
better than solder.

Jim Donohue

Doug Dotson March 28th 05 02:27 AM

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Rather extreme for boat applications.

It is a very repeatable technique. If you make a good crimp or two the
next 10 thousand are virtually certain to be as good. If however the
first is bad....

Buy a good crimper that produces a proper crimp each time. One of the
ratcheting types.

I know a bit about this after having to change out tens of thousands of
harnesses in the field when bad crimps in the main AC connections were
found on a device.

Wow! That's alot of work. How many years have you been doing this?

Soldering a crimp does not weaken the crimp. The concern is that it
creates a hard point up the wire where vibration will cause a stress
cracking. I would think that if carefully limited to the connector barrel
by the use of a suitable heat sink it would lead to a quite suitable
connection. Otherwise you must support the wiring mechanically somewhere
back of the solder.

I seem to recall in an issure of NASA Tech Briefs about 25 years ago that
the
major problems with solder joints had to do with microcracks forming as a
result of thermal cycling resulting in high impedance in the joint. Also,
moisture
can deteriorate via the microcracks assuming the joint is not made moisture
tight.

Mark March 28th 05 03:41 AM

Steve wrote:
I have noticed that the continued wire seems to have survived well.
i.e. the boat is 20 years old and the original stuff is which was

mainly
continued is fine. I can see no signs of corrosion even after

stripping
large lengths.

Had the 30 year old windspeed meter on my sailboat cease working
recently. Investigation revealed the 60 foot sensor wire had a break
in it somewhere. Connections looked OK. No visual sign of damage, but
cutting it in about the middle revealed black crumbs instead of copper
wire. Turns out entire lengths of the wire had corroded to dust.
Probably had worked so long because it was only handling a half volt or
so AC signal. It was non-tinned and had lousy insulation, sort of like
extension cord wire.

So it can happen, at least in small gage wire.

Wayne.B March 28th 05 06:27 PM

On 27 Mar 2005 18:41:57 -0800, "Mark" wrote:
Investigation revealed the 60 foot sensor wire had a break
in it somewhere. Connections looked OK. No visual sign of damage, but
cutting it in about the middle revealed black crumbs instead of copper
wire. Turns out entire lengths of the wire had corroded to dust.
Probably had worked so long because it was only handling a half volt or
so AC signal. It was non-tinned and had lousy insulation, sort of like
extension cord wire.

So it can happen, at least in small gage wire.

And larger at times. I once had a similar condition with the shield
braid on a coax cable. Apparently the outer insulation had developed
a pin hole leak allowing moisture to enter. The copper braid in that
section had turned to green powder and was totally non-conductive.

I'd vote for tinned wire if longevity, reliability and low maintenance
are a future concern.

Steve March 28th 05 10:47 PM

Wow, you have to be so carefull on this group. To clarify, I never
solder battery terminals. I am not even sure how you would without the
use of a blow-torch to get such a lot of metal hot enough. Then you
would probably do a lot of damage to the wire with wicking solder and
melting the insulation. They have to be crimped and sealed with double
layer heatshrink (the sort with glue inside).

The crimp/solder I was refering to was for the spade connectors on the
switches/cct breakers etc. Yes it might not be the universally accepted
best solution but if the crimp is good to start with then the solder
should not penetrate the crimp joint and hence will only act as an
additional seal for the whole.

Doug Dotson March 28th 05 10:55 PM

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Wow, you have to be so carefull on this group. To clarify, I never solder
battery terminals. I am not even sure how you would without the use of a
blow-torch to get such a lot of metal hot enough. Then you would probably
do a lot of damage to the wire with wicking solder and melting the
insulation. They have to be crimped and sealed with double layer
heatshrink (the sort with glue inside).

Yup! But I have a friend that soldered all his battery connection with a
small blowtorch as you mentioned.

The crimp/solder I was refering to was for the spade connectors on the
switches/cct breakers etc. Yes it might not be the universally accepted
best solution but if the crimp is good to start with then the solder
should not penetrate the crimp joint and hence will only act as an
additional seal for the whole.

See my previous comment about the research done by NASA back
in the 70's or 80's.

Steve March 28th 05 10:55 PM

Interesting. Was the wire exposed to the elements? I have a navman wind
instrument which is all cabled with navman cables which I don't think
are tinned. It is very well insulated though with several layers of
different screening and insulation. However, it is quite new and if it
lasts 30 years I would not be too upset. After all in 30 years time how
call will the new technology be!

Does make me worry about the big multi-core wire in the mast though.
This is the only one I could not dury rig in a few minutes if there is a
failure. It is tinned and well insulated but - as you say - looking at
the condition of the ends is no indication that its integrity as a
whole. Does anyone ever double wire (dual redundacy)?

Thanks for the info.

Doug Dotson March 28th 05 10:57 PM

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
I have noticed that the continued wire seems to have survived well.
i.e. the boat is 20 years old and the original stuff is which was

mainly
continued is fine. I can see no signs of corrosion even after

stripping
large lengths.

Had the 30 year old windspeed meter on my sailboat cease working
recently. Investigation revealed the 60 foot sensor wire had a break
in it somewhere. Connections looked OK. No visual sign of damage, but
cutting it in about the middle revealed black crumbs instead of copper
wire. Turns out entire lengths of the wire had corroded to dust.
Probably had worked so long because it was only handling a half volt or
so AC signal. It was non-tinned and had lousy insulation, sort of like
extension cord wire.

So it can happen, at least in small gage wire.

30 year old wire isn't a good example. Most 30 year old people are a bit
corroded inside :)

Larry W4CSC March 29th 05 01:35 PM

Wayne.B wrote in
:

And larger at times. I once had a similar condition with the shield
braid on a coax cable. Apparently the outer insulation had developed
a pin hole leak allowing moisture to enter. The copper braid in that
section had turned to green powder and was totally non-conductive.

I have never seen a piece of plastic covered coax cable like RG-58 that
DIDN'T have water ingestion if laying in water for any length of time. It
always eats the shield away...salt or not.

If you MUST run coax through the bilge, like to get to the mast, one great
way to prevent ingestion is to run the coax through a piece of nylon water
line, the kind used to hook up the house water source to the ice maker in
the refridgerator, that's just big enough to pass the unconnectored coax
through as a sort of flexible, sealed conduit through the bilgewater area.
Seal it on both ends with 3M 5200 forever. It now has virtually no
airspace to breathe in and condensate water and the water line is
impervious to the oil, grease, gook, amazing biological species and
seawater in the bilge....(c;

Small nylon airhose is also great, but it usually comes in a self-coiling
section, now, not a straight piece like the water line.

Larry W4CSC March 29th 05 01:42 PM

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Yup! But I have a friend that soldered all his battery connection with a
small blowtorch as you mentioned.

My little MAPP gas torch did a fine job heating Lionheart's battery
terminals for soldering. There was very little wicking because the #0
cable strands are quite a bit larger than hookup wire strands. The
soldered connection is a neat, very strong and very low resistance
connection. You can pick up an L-16 by picking up its cable with this
solder connection. Try that with your crimp connector.

Soldering maximizes the contact surface area as far as it can be. Crimping
only makes contact with a tiny outside edge of the outside conductors only,
nearly a point contact but with some length down the hole.

Cold solder joints are the ones that "crack"....not properly soldered
joints which are stronger than the wire, itself.

Larry W4CSC March 29th 05 01:47 PM

Steve wrote in :

Does make me worry about the big multi-core wire in the mast though.

Cables hung vertically in the mast drain very quickly and are not exposed
to submersion. Where the mistakes are made is where they come out of the
mast at the top. Instead of allowing the cable to have a drip loop so the
cable doesn't become a path for rain and spray to ingest water into the
mast, the neatnicks try to see how much of the cable they can hide by
making it as short as possible. Then the water runs down the cable into
the hole, instead of dropping harmlessly off the drip loop that should have
been there. It doesn't have to be a full loop....just a sag in the cable
just before it enters the hole so the water can drip off...

Doug Dotson March 29th 05 02:08 PM

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Yup! But I have a friend that soldered all his battery connection with a
small blowtorch as you mentioned.

My little MAPP gas torch did a fine job heating Lionheart's battery
terminals for soldering. There was very little wicking because the #0
cable strands are quite a bit larger than hookup wire strands. The
soldered connection is a neat, very strong and very low resistance
connection. You can pick up an L-16 by picking up its cable with this
solder connection. Try that with your crimp connector.

Picking up a battery by the cables isn;t a terribly good practice, although
a good crip should be able to do it as well.

Soldering maximizes the contact surface area as far as it can be.
Crimping
only makes contact with a tiny outside edge of the outside conductors
only,
nearly a point contact but with some length down the hole.

Actually, the conductors are flattened when they contact the inside of the
connector and each other giving quite a bit of contact area.

Cold solder joints are the ones that "crack"....not properly soldered
joints which are stronger than the wire, itself.

Not according to the research I have seen in the past. Perhaps that has
changed in the past few years.

Larry W4CSC March 30th 05 01:57 AM

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Actually, the conductors are flattened when they contact the inside of
the connector and each other giving quite a bit of contact area.

Still, no matter how hard you crimp, the terminal only makes contact with
the very edge of the outer conductors, no matter how much pressure you put
on the inner conductors. Soldering makes contact with every strand on all
the surface area that's exposed......and properly soldered, prevents
exposing covered copper to seawater and condensation corrosions.

Gary Schafer March 30th 05 02:01 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:57:15 -0500, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Actually, the conductors are flattened when they contact the inside of
the connector and each other giving quite a bit of contact area.

Still, no matter how hard you crimp, the terminal only makes contact with
the very edge of the outer conductors, no matter how much pressure you put
on the inner conductors. Soldering makes contact with every strand on all
the surface area that's exposed......and properly soldered, prevents
exposing covered copper to seawater and condensation corrosions.

with a properly crimped connector the wire becomes one solid mass
throughout.

regards
Gary

Doug Dotson March 30th 05 04:38 AM

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Actually, the conductors are flattened when they contact the inside of
the connector and each other giving quite a bit of contact area.

Still, no matter how hard you crimp, the terminal only makes contact with
the very edge of the outer conductors, no matter how much pressure you put
on the inner conductors.

Just not true.

Soldering makes contact with every strand on all
the surface area that's exposed.

True, but the soldered joint is subject to other factors that will
compromise
it over time.

.....and properly soldered, prevents
exposing covered copper to seawater and condensation corrosions.

Moisture (especially seawater) will eat up a soldered joint pretty quick.
A properly crimped joint that is sealed from moisture will last a long time.

Jim Donohue March 30th 05 05:47 AM

[...]

Sure it will last...if it is a "properly" crimped joint...but I don't think
you or Gary know any way to tell if it is "properly" crimped. So you go on
faith or solder. I'd solder.

When you section a crimp you can still see the individual strands so some
interface still exists. I will agree it is very close to homogeneous. If
however it is less than perfect there may well be excellent wicking
dimensions present.

Jim Donohue

Doug Dotson March 30th 05 05:51 AM

[...]

Generally a high quality crimping tool will produce a good crimp.

When you section a crimp you can still see the individual strands so some
interface still exists.

Of course. Anything further would be pretty difficult to acheive.

I will agree it is very close to homogeneous. If however it is less
than perfect there may well be excellent wicking dimensions present.

Doesn;t matter if the crimped joint is sealed.

Jim Donohue

Doug Dotson March 30th 05 06:05 AM

[...]

Just one more thought. In a reasonably well crimped connection, the amount
of contact area between the wire and the connector exceeds by several
times the cross sectional area of the wire itself. The crimp is not the
weak point. Solder vs. crimp is one of those emotional issues like abortion,
guns, religion, etc. Everybody has their closely held beliefs that they
will
not abandon.

Larry W4CSC March 30th 05 02:53 PM

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

abortion,
guns, religion

Shhhh! Geez, don't even type those words on usenet! It's liable to
EXPLODE!!....(c;

Markus Baertschi April 1st 05 11:00 AM

Doug Dotson wrote:
Just one more thought. In a reasonably well crimped connection, the amount
of contact area between the wire and the connector exceeds by several
times the cross sectional area of the wire itself. The crimp is not the
weak point.

I've made the experience that with soldered joints the cable brakes
easier as the solder hardens a section of it where it would be otherwise
flexible. When it get's moved around suddenly it the conductor breaks a
couple of mm of the solder joint. With crimping this does not happen.

Markus

Meindert Sprang April 1st 05 11:30 AM

"Markus Baertschi" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
Just one more thought. In a reasonably well crimped connection, the

amount
of contact area between the wire and the connector exceeds by several
times the cross sectional area of the wire itself. The crimp is not the
weak point.

I've made the experience that with soldered joints the cable brakes
easier as the solder hardens a section of it where it would be otherwise
flexible. When it get's moved around suddenly it the conductor breaks a
couple of mm of the solder joint. With crimping this does not happen.

Correct. It is a well known physical property of copper. It hardens when it
is heated.

Meindert

Jack Erbes April 1st 05 02:15 PM

Meindert Sprang wrote:
snip
Correct. It is a well known physical property of copper. It hardens when it
is heated.

Meindert

Nope, that's not right. Heating copper (also brass, aluminum, and most
other non-ferrous metals) and cooling it (the quicker the better
generally) anneals it and restores the workability.

That is why reusable copper spark plug washers, head gaskets, etc., are
heated to restored their sealing qualities. They get work hardened in
use and might not seal at a specified clamping force. The sealing
qualities can be restored by annealing.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Meindert Sprang April 1st 05 04:06 PM

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Meindert Sprang wrote:
snip
Correct. It is a well known physical property of copper. It hardens when

it
is heated.

Meindert

Nope, that's not right. Heating copper (also brass, aluminum, and most
other non-ferrous metals) and cooling it (the quicker the better
generally) anneals it and restores the workability.

You are partly right. Heating a metal above its recrystalization temperature
softens it. For copper, you're talking about at least 480 degrees Celcius.

When copper is heated below this temperature (soldering), the remaining
oygen in the copper can react with hydrogen (possibly released by heating
flux?) causing embittlement of the copper.

That is why reusable copper spark plug washers, head gaskets, etc., are
heated to restored their sealing qualities. They get work hardened in
use and might not seal at a specified clamping force. The sealing
qualities can be restored by annealing.

Yes, but with a soldering iron, you'll never reach that temperature,
generally

Meindert

Doug Dotson April 2nd 05 01:42 AM

How does this relate to soldering? I'm not sure that removing the soldering
iron
from a freshly soldered joint qualifies as quick cooling.

Doug

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
snip

Jim Donohue April 2nd 05 02:38 AM

I would need to see a reference on that Meindert. There are of course
copper embrittlement mechanisms. But I don't believe any of them work at
soldering temperatures.

The mechanism of which I am aware is simple work hardening when a flexing
section works against one rigidized by solder. Easily handled by support of
the wire. There is a 75 year history of high quality military style
connectors using solder to mate wire to connector pins. This mechanism is
routinely used in high stress situations. I know of no concerns with
embrittlement...just the need to support the wire mechanically.

Hydrogen embrittlement is generally considered to occur at temperatures much
higher than soldering.

I think you need a reference or two...

Jim Donohue

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Meindert Sprang wrote:
snip
Correct. It is a well known physical property of copper. It hardens
when

it
is heated.

Meindert

..

Sailct41 April 2nd 05 05:13 AM

you guys are hurting my head worse then the micro miniture soldering school
I went to when I was in the Nav. I suspect that we all agree that keeping
it clean and sealed is the key and soldering or crimping is probably a
preference much like choosing a Westsail or a J-boat and I wont say what my
preference is.

Sailct41 April 2nd 05 05:17 AM

Off topic but part of the discussion on wires,

Replying to the vibration part of the earlier discussion, we have a 46'
parabolic dish that moves at 15 degrees per second and we continiously have
the crimp connector fail on a bi-yearly basis. We have done engineering
studies with solid wire, braided wire, soldered connectors and crimped
connectors but they all failed. The solid conductor seemed to fail earlier.
We think it is weird and have replaced the entire cable harness twice (cost
was in the hundred of thousands) but the problem continues. Our other 46'
antennas do not have this problem.