David & Lynne

Default Digital Barometer

Can anyone recommend a good quality digital barometer with a USB connection.
Looked at Conex Weather Jack on www.starpath.com but the Conex web site is
"under construction" so I cannot verify accuracy from manufacturers web
site. I would appreciate any first hand experiances on this or similiar
devices.
Thanks
David

Doug Dotson

I used to have a Conex WeatherJack. It was a neat device. Unfortunately
they sent out an upgrade via a new processor chip and the thing never
worked well again. If they worked out the kinks (this was 4 years ago)
it is a nice device. The one I had operated through a serial port but
perhaps a USB version is available now.

Doug
s/v Callista

"David & Lynne" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good quality digital barometer with a USB
connection.
Looked at Conex Weather Jack on www.starpath.com but the Conex web site
is
"under construction" so I cannot verify accuracy from manufacturers web
site. I would appreciate any first hand experiances on this or similiar
devices.
Thanks
David

engsol

Just curious...
The USB requirement suggests interfacing with a PC.
For what reason? Logging pressure during a voyage?
Norm B

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:42:57 +1100, "David & Lynne" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good quality digital barometer with a USB connection.
Looked at Conex Weather Jack on www.starpath.com but the Conex web site is
"under construction" so I cannot verify accuracy from manufacturers web
site. I would appreciate any first hand experiances on this or similiar
devices.
Thanks
David

David & Lynne

Thanks for responses, yes we looking to better record bara pressure changes.
Most of our sailing is in South East Australia and we live and have the boat
moored in the Tamar Estuary which leads into Bass Strait. Three weeks ago we
had a local extreme weather event where the Bureau of Meteorology forecast
went from strong wind, to gale, to storm warning in a very short time
period. We were caught out with the boat on the mooring and no safe way to
get to it safely. About 20 boats were lost or damaged, we were lucky with
no damage but the mooring dragged 20metre. After this we reflected on what
would have happened if we had been in Bass Strait and we concluded we needed
to upgrade our weather forecasting and not to depend on waiting for the
official warning releases. We already have weather fax via HF but we are now
going to use an automatic scheduling programme to automatically download
faxes and at the same time want to data log bara pressure at the boat
position so as to better analyse whats happening.
So any info on a quality barametric sensor with capability for lap top
connection would be appreciated. We dont want to go to the complexity of a
data logger if we can avoid it, so we are looking for a smart bara sensor.
Thanks,
David.

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good quality digital barometer with a USB

connection.
Looked at Conex Weather Jack on www.starpath.com but the Conex web site

is
"under construction" so I cannot verify accuracy from manufacturers web
site. I would appreciate any first hand experiances on this or similiar
devices.
Thanks
David

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

A customer in Singapore had me update my software to handle this
barograph's NMEA output:

http://www.bohlken.net/

He wanted it integrated with my display, but it also has its own
software that looks pretty capable.

http://www.dexteritas.com is the Singapore distributor. You might be
able to find someone closer.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:43:07 GMT, "Glen \"Wiley\" Wilson"
wrote:

A customer in Singapore had me update my software to handle this
barograph's NMEA output:

http://www.bohlken.net/

He wanted it integrated with my display, but it also has its own
software that looks pretty capable.

http://www.dexteritas.com is the Singapore distributor. You might be
able to find someone closer.

_________________________________________________ ___________
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com

I looked at Bohlken's website. This looks very pro gear - German
style.
The barometer price with USB cable was
about 220 German Mark (DEM) = 112.5 Euro (EUR)
112.50 Euro = 149.00 US Dollar

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Evan Gatehouse

wrote:

A customer in Singapore had me update my software to handle this
barograph's NMEA output:

http://www.bohlken.net/

Thanks very much! The old Vetus one was my favourite, but very costly
(~$1000). Unlike the other poster, I found the price to be EURO 295.
Where did you see the price in DM?

I don't like the cheaper barographs (Oregon Scientific/Weems & Plath)
that use 5 or 6 vertical bars to show pressure because they use a
non-linear X axis; something like 1,3,6,12,24 hours. You can see a
trend but it's much tougher to interpret, especially when you're tired
at 3 am. These look just the ticket.

Evan Gatehouse
Steven Dubnoff

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good quality digital barometer with a USB connection.

The Davis Vantage Pro, is a complete weather station (a very good
wireless one at that)

http://www.davisnet.com/home_static.asp

They have a serial and and usb link to your computer that is an
option. There are very good prices on the Davis stuff at:

http://www.provantage.com/xc_DAVS.htm

Good stuff. I have it on my boat.

Best,

Steve

Steven Dubnoff
Circle Systems We make your data instantly usable.
Download Stat/Transfer from
http://www.stattransfer.com
1001 Fourth Avenue, #3200 (206) 682-3783
Seattle, WA 98154 Fax (206) 328-4788

Jmax

Consider looking at "Oregon Scientific" Complete Wireless Weather Station
WMR968. It clams to be PC compatible and comes with a solar-powered wind
speed anemometer, thermo-humidity, barometer and rain gauge. May meet your
needs for an onboard PC_Combatable weather monitoring station.

"David & Lynne" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good quality digital barometer with a USB

connection.
Looked at Conex Weather Jack on www.starpath.com but the Conex web site

is
"under construction" so I cannot verify accuracy from manufacturers web
site. I would appreciate any first hand experiances on this or similiar
devices.
Thanks
David

Digital Barometer David & Lynne Cruising 15 March 3rd 05 04:57 PM
Digital photography & boating Harry Krause General 34 September 28th 04 10:02 PM
The Barometer Bob Crantz ASA 52 August 3rd 04 09:41 AM
digital chart questions Aaron Cruising 0 May 19th 04 06:08 AM
Digital Map of Pacific Bob Richardson Cruising 1 July 14th 03 01:59 AM