Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:23:41 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

Problem is powering a HF transmitter with enough wattage without draining
your batteries.

=============================

Have you ever heard of:

- generators?
- alternators?
- solar panels?
- wind powered generators?

That's how most people do it except for the ocassional hand cranked
generator advocate.

Falky foo

solar power is inefficient, generators are noisy, wind generators are
expensive..

Plus, when you key down on 1000 watts what type of antenna are you going to
be using? A yagi on your mast? Weird!

wrote:

Problem is powering a HF transmitter with enough wattage without draining
your batteries.

=============================

Have you ever heard of:

- generators?
- alternators?
- solar panels?
- wind powered generators?

That's how most people do it except for the ocassional hand cranked
generator advocate.

Larry W4CSC

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Only a nut would try to run 1000 watts on a small boat.

Input or output? Input - Guilty...(c;

My 12V Tentec Hercules II (modified) only puts output about 650 watts at
13.8V/120 amps peak. Tuner is a Nye-Viking 3KW manual tuner feeding the
port shroud via the chain plate inside a cabinet. Anyone with a Hercules
II I can get you 15-20% more output easy....just get rid of the cheapies
inside.

POWER is our friend!....especially when the CHIPS ARE DOWN! Everyone said
it was LOUD on 40 and 75 meters! The CD player wasn't amused,
however....(sigh). Some cabin lights glowed quite nicely!

Dare ya to touch the mast.....(c;

I don't think the amp with the dual 4-1000As will fit through the hatch.
There's no 30A - 240VAC to run it on, anyways....

150 watts just sucks!

Nut.....(c;

Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:24:05 GMT, Larry W4CSC wrote:

I don't think the amp with the dual 4-1000As will fit through the hatch.
There's no 30A - 240VAC to run it on, anyways....

====================

I have 30 amp 240 on the boat, send it to me for testing. :-)

Larry W4CSC

Wayne.B wrote in
news
I have 30 amp 240 on the boat, send it to me for testing. :-)

That would work if we didn't turn the drive up to far...(c;

60A service would be more comfortable, though.

It'll run 6200V at around 950ma at full power. My math is a little fuzzy.
That's about a kilowatt, isn't it? The pole pig hooked up backwards for
the plate supply is quite noisy at this level. I took a piece of melted
RG-8A/U about a foot long to a ham club meeting. It doesn't melt RG-17.

All in good fun....back in the 60's a whole bunch of us kept building the
monster 4-1000 linears because the tubes/sockets/chimneys were free. When
10 meters was as dead as a doorknob, before 2 meter repeaters, we used to
fire them up into the Mosley beams and sit around chewing the rag late at
night across town (Sumter, SC, pop about 25000). There was no low-end VHF
TV to worry about tearing up. One night in the dead band we had a breaker
from Perth, Australia, the only other person we heard across the band. He
claimed we were all echoing like mad and 20 over S9. He had a little echo,
himself, at 250 watts. We had a great time working him and the hams he'd
called locally after first working us. The band wasn't dead, after all,
just abandoned.

By the way, in SC we have an unwritten ham radio rule. IF there's some
kind of official or unofficial net, net control stations are never allowed
to run enough power to actually hear them without straining. I never
figured that out but it's been that way since I came here as WB4THE back in
the mid 60's. Go figure....

Me

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

It'll run 6200V at around 950ma at full power. My math is a little fuzzy.
That's about a kilowatt, isn't it?

No Larry, that's about 6Kw Input....Your amp must me really inefficent
if it takes that input to get a Kw output........

Me who knows how to do the math..........