Bobby

Default SSB & Email

Hello
I have a ssb setup on my boat and was thinking of getting a modem to access
some sort of email client like sailmail. has anyone used this sort of thing?
What do you recommend

Cheers bobby

Doug Dotson

There is only one show in town due to patent issues. The SCS PTC-IIe is
probably the best value for things like Sailmail. Not sure how they are
being
marketed these days, but 3 years ago they were going for around $US750.
Make sure you get the PACTOR-III upgrade which was an extra $US150.

It is made in Germany, but there are dealers in the US.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

ps. Get a ham license. Email is free.

"Bobby" wrote in message
Hello
I have a ssb setup on my boat and was thinking of getting a modem to
access
some sort of email client like sailmail. has anyone used this sort of
thing?
What do you recommend

Cheers bobby

We are not allowed 3rd party messages in europe on amateur licences so
email is not free.

Inge LA8PQ

I would need to have a USA licence and callsign for that, my licence
says I am not to send messages addressed to anyone other than amateur
stations. I think it is the same in all of europe.
Inge LA8PQ

Larry W4CSC

" wrote in
ps.com:

I would need to have a USA licence and callsign for that, my licence
says I am not to send messages addressed to anyone other than amateur
stations. I think it is the same in all of europe.
Inge LA8PQ

Hm....Searching the FCC's ham radio website, I find it even more
interesting:

" Third Party Communications

Section 97.115 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. §97.115, authorizes an
amateur station regulated by the FCC to transmit a message from its control
operator (first party) to another amateur station control operator (second
party) on behalf of another person (third party). No amateur station,
however, shall transmit messages for a third party to any station within
the jurisdiction of any foreign government whose administration has not
made arrangements with the United States to allow amateur stations to be
used for transmitting international communications on behalf of third
parties.

The following countries have made the necessary arrangements with the
United States to permit an amateur station regulated by the FCC to exchange
messages for a third party with amateur stations in: Antigua and Barbuda,
Argentina, Australia, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada,
Chile, Colombia, Federal Islamic Republic of Comoros, Costa Rica, Cuba,
Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, The Gambia, Ghana,
Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan,
Liberia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Mexico, Federated States of
Micronesia, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, St. Christopher
and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sierra Leone, South
Africa, Swaziland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Kingdom (special
event stations with call sign prefix GB followed by a number other than 3),
Uruguay, and Venezuela. The United Nations also has arrangements with the
United States to permit an amateur station regulated by the FCC to exchange
messages for a third party with amateur stations 4U1ITU in Geneva,
Switzerland, and 4U1VIC in Vienna, Austria.

No amateur station regulated by the FCC shall transmit messages for a third
party to any amateur station located within the jurisdiction of any foreign
government not listed above. This prohibition does not apply to a message
for any third party who is eligible to be the control operator of the
station."

I guess I can't handle message traffic to Norway, either. It's not on the
list. I wonder how many thousands of times per day the ham radio email
system breaks this silly regulation?

Aha! All is not lost! YOU are eligible for a reciprocal US license
according to:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...operating.html

AS FCC changed the rules to get rid of the mess it created trying to get
foreign amateurs a proper license, now all that's required is for you to
sign the proper callsign for the area/state you are in. So, Welcome to
South Carolina, Inge LA8PQ/W4

There, now you have third party priviledges.....er, ah....but not with
Norway.....sorry.

I wonder how much effort it would take for Norwegians to take over their
government and TELL the telephone company it no longer controls ham radio?
We had that problem in the USA for the first hundred years with our ham
radio.