Geri

Default GPS 220

We are new to the world of GPS and are contemplating our first boat
purchase. The used boat we are considering has Garmin GPSMap 220. Since
this is a discontinued product, I'm assuming the existing G Chart cartridges
are so old as to not be very reliable. Can someone please confirm?
According to their website, Garmin's offshore G-charts have not been updated
since October of 2001.

Thanks -
Geri

Ed

Depends on how you want to use the charts.

In the Islands...some of the sounding have not been updated since the
1800s.... I proved to the chart companies several years ago that Bimini
is 1/4 mile off on all current charts....their comment back to me...It
is less liability for us to use the bad data that is supplied by the
Govt than to use any other source. Deep water soundings in the US
predate modern depthfinders. Where most of the changes occur, are in
and around harbors and coast areas. They add the new bouys, wrecks,
bridges, signs, etc that come from the notice to mariners. As far as
new soundings, I have not seen an update in many years. (This may differ
the closer you get to DC...) I remember post-andrew down here in SFL...
I bought a new chart kit in the mid 90s expecting to find all the
changes below Miami but no changes occured.

NOW... that being said. I have a Garmin 2006 and I update the charts
every couple of years. (48' boats have expensive propellers and shafts..
) BUT, I still have my 175 with the "G" charts as my backup. But I
think you will find that it will be cheaper over the long run to get
something with Bluecharts IF you need them. BUT, if the boat already
have the 220 and you DON'T PLAN TO TRUST IT (because you should NEVER
trust a piece of electronics fully....remember Bimini....) then buy the
boat and if you get some extra cash upgrade to a new bluechart version
at a later date but don't trust that one either..... The cool thing
about Garmin is that the bluechart software will allow you to backup
your 220's waypoints and put them on the new unit. I have had 6 garmins
so far and the waypoints I have are a combination of all the units. I
currently own 3 and I keep all the waypoints in sync with the software
from garmin.

Ed

Geri