engsol

Default Galvanic Isolater

Has anyone worked out the size of diodes and caps
required to do the job? I plan to build my own....can't see
paying $100 plus for 4 diodes and a couple of caps.

The tricky part might be figuring out a way to monitor the
device for blown components. Anyone done that? Ides?

Thanks,
Norm B
Your name

Don't need no stinkin caps. What would they do?

Easiest way to check diodes is with a dmm (power OFF of course). Check
them a couple of times a year. They are pretty darned reliable when rated
properly and used in an isolator. 'Course, if you pop a breaker sometime,
it might be good to test the diodes at that time as well.

Have fun!

engsol wrote in
:

Has anyone worked out the size of diodes and caps
required to do the job? I plan to build my own....can't see
paying $100 plus for 4 diodes and a couple of caps.

The tricky part might be figuring out a way to monitor the
device for blown components. Anyone done that? Ides?

Thanks,
Norm B

Your name

As a follow-up, I should point out that this is a somewhat controversial
issue, this business of AC vs. DC currents. Many students of galvanic
corrosion believe that AC can and does cause corrosion. If you choose to
believe this, then you will want an isolation device that limits both AC
and DC voltages.

Mercury uses a capacitor in their isolators because a sufficiently high
AC voltage will forward-bias the diodes and allow them to conduct DC,
even at low voltages. But bypassing the diodes for AC means that the full
AC voltage (if any) will pass through the isolator. The net effect of
this may be a benefit in isolating some DC voltages, but at the expense
of allowing AC to pass through unaffected!

If there is a chance that you will need to protect against AC as well as
DC with your galvanic isolator, you will be disappointed with a
capacitor. The best course then, is to use an isolation transformer. It
will provide complete isolation.

engsol

Good observations. Thanks.
I agree that the jury is out on the value of capacitors.
I might install an isolation xformer later, but the cost is a bit
off-putting with so many other things to buy.
But that's boating, eh?
Norm B

On 20 Feb 2005 16:30:32 -0600, Your name wrote:

[...]

Manlio Laschena

Followup to msg on Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:51:50 -0800, engsol
:
(Original msg on bottom)

Good observations. Thanks.

Hi,
I hope you don't feel offended if I copy a link where you can read
how the galvanic isolator works.
http://www.yandina.com/galvanicIsolator.htm

Galvanic isolator try to stop ONE of several causes of corrosion,
mainly that using the AC ground wiring to carry galvanic currents from
the harbour network .

From that point of view I get confused by your statements.

Hope it helps

Manlio

Manlio Laschena
s/y Amarose

halibutslayer

Your name wrote:

[...]

Of course it can pass full AC thats the point. The whole idea is for a short in the
ungrounded
conductor (hot) to have a safe path to ground (hopefully tripping the breaker) The idea
behind
the isolator is to block DC currents caused when your aluminum outdrive and your
neihbors
stainless shaft become a battery because they are both connected electricaly and
emmerced in
an electrolyte. As far as small AC currents caused by leaky 48" shop lights, electric
motors etc.
you want the isolator to pass these. Its much better that these currents travel back
home via the
grounding conductor than through your through hull fitting into the water etc. This is
for the sake
of your boat and swimmers.

chuck

Hello there halibutslayer,

I think there is a little misunderstanding about what a
galvanic isolator does. If constructed the usual way with
four diodes, the isolator will conduct AC AND DC, except
that until the voltage exceeds about 1.5 volts, it doesn't
conduct at all (simplification of course). Depending on the
design rating of the diodes and heat sink, it may conduct 30
or 50 or 200 amps AC, DC, or both, forever! Now this is an
isolator without any capacitors.

Add a capacitor and what happens? It will still conduct 30
or 50 or 200 amps AC, DC, or both, forever. What changes? It
will now conduct AC without the 1.5 volt threshold kicking
in. But depending on the capacitor chosen, the AC voltage
drop could be even more than 1.5 volts. Could be less. Who
knows? What does it matter? AC voltage can and does vary by
a lot more than a few volts without jeopardizing the safety
of the vessel. So there simply does not seem to be a safety
issue associated with making sure there is not a 1.5 volt AC
threshold, while allowing some other unspecified AC voltage
drop. No difference will be seen in the way fuses and
breakers and GFIs work, with or without a capacitor.

So are there any benefits to not having a capacitor? Maybe.
There is no such thing as a galvanic AC current, I guess,
but there can be an AC electrolytic current. Research
suggests these currents may be even more damaging than DC
currents. So from a corrosion perspective, it would be good
to block them from getting into the boat's green wire. An
isolator without a capacitor would at least block the
lower-voltage AC, but would allow the higher-voltage AC to
pass (once the 1.5 volt threshold was exceeded).

So where is the benefit to adding the capacitor? None that I
can see.

The only ways to fully provide for onboard safety and also
eliminate galvanic and electrolytic currents from traveling
through the green wire are to use an isolation transformer,
or don't bring shore power aboard.

Usually, a simple galvanic isolator is sufficient.

Regards,

Chuck

halibutslayer

chuck wrote:

[...]

The AC currents are currents are all ready in your green wire from leaky
equipment in your boat. These currents are making a complete circuit to
where the grounding wire is connected to neutral on shore. The question
is whether or not this happens through the grounding wire via the
capacitor in the isolator or through a metal fixture on your boat,
through the water, to ground, grounding rod, and then to neautral.
The down side is if you have a capacitor and your neigbor doesn't than
her AC currents might use your underwater parts and capacitor in your
isolator as the shortest path to the neutral/ground connection point on
shore. This is why ALL isolators should have a capacitor and I think
ABYC may require one. If they don't they should. Or you could just spend
the money and valuable space for an isolation transformer and not worry
about it.

Hope my point is better made than in the previous posting.

Eric

Galvanic Isolator mack Electronics 12 March 19th 05 12:47 PM
Galvanic corrosion and Radio Brian Reay Electronics 5 January 22nd 05 08:21 PM
Seamanship Question #17 Galvanic Corrosion N1EE ASA 9 December 2nd 04 11:28 PM
Galvanic Isolators/All the same? SBC Boat Building 1 June 11th 04 03:10 AM
galvanic corrosion Jean Electronics 2 October 8th 03 01:58 PM