MGP

Default HSB2 cable spec

I have got to lengthen a Raymarine HSB2 data cable between radar and
repeater tomorrow -Raymarine say don't cut it, but thats not an option for
me as I need to cut the plug off to get it through some small hole

Can anyone tell me the cable spec (No of cores, shielding etc) so I can go
prepared.
thanks

Meindert Sprang

"MGP" wrote in message
I have got to lengthen a Raymarine HSB2 data cable between radar and
repeater tomorrow -Raymarine say don't cut it, but thats not an option for
me as I need to cut the plug off to get it through some small hole

Can anyone tell me the cable spec (No of cores, shielding etc) so I can go

That would be STP, Shielded Twisted Pair. Only one pair (two wires plus
shield).

Meindert

MGP

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"MGP" wrote in message
I have got to lengthen a Raymarine HSB2 data cable between radar and
repeater tomorrow -Raymarine say don't cut it, but thats not an option
for
me as I need to cut the plug off to get it through some small hole

Can anyone tell me the cable spec (No of cores, shielding etc) so I can
go

That would be STP, Shielded Twisted Pair. Only one pair (two wires plus
shield).

Meindert

Thanks - would it be ok to use 1 pair of Cat 5 network cable?

Meindert Sprang

"MGP" wrote in message
Thanks - would it be ok to use 1 pair of Cat 5 network cable?

As long as it is shielded, yes. If not, you could try but there's more
chance of interference.

Meindert

John Proctor

On 2005-02-12 23:52:46 +1100, "Meindert Sprang"
said:

"MGP" wrote in message
Thanks - would it be ok to use 1 pair of Cat 5 network cable?

As long as it is shielded, yes. If not, you could try but there's more
chance of interference.

Meindert

Meindert,

An interesting thing is that STP is almost never used outside Europe.
The company that I used to run here in Australia kept both on their
books but we never sold any STP that I know of. BTW we might have as I
was the MD not the sales manager ;-)

I have a Kenwood D700 Amateur radio (VHF/UHF) in my car. The microphone
connects to the radio via an RJ45. The control head connects to the
radio via an RJ11-RJ12 4 core cable. When you remote the radio (mine
is in the back of a Volvo X70 station wagon where the spare tire is
kept) there is a relatively long run to the control head and
microphone. I used Cat 5e to extend the microphone connection. Works
great no RF feedback, no hum etc. Kenwood made the pinning such that
the mic level winds up on a grounded/active twisted pair. No STP
required. Smart eh!

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Meindert Sprang

"John Proctor" wrote in message
Meindert,

An interesting thing is that STP is almost never used outside Europe.
The company that I used to run here in Australia kept both on their
books but we never sold any STP that I know of. BTW we might have as I
was the MD not the sales manager ;-)

I have a Kenwood D700 Amateur radio (VHF/UHF) in my car. The microphone
connects to the radio via an RJ45. The control head connects to the
radio via an RJ11-RJ12 4 core cable. When you remote the radio (mine
is in the back of a Volvo X70 station wagon where the spare tire is
kept) there is a relatively long run to the control head and
microphone. I used Cat 5e to extend the microphone connection. Works
great no RF feedback, no hum etc. Kenwood made the pinning such that
the mic level winds up on a grounded/active twisted pair. No STP
required. Smart eh!

I agree with you that in many occasions, UTP is fine. Look at our ethernet
networks: UPT up to 100Mbit. I also have first hand experience with UTP in a
factory environment, in an RS-485 network. And probably this HDB2 is RS-485
too. But since the original cables from Raymarine have a shield, why not
replace it with a shielded cable. Maybe the shield is used to keep the
RS-485 tranceivers on the same ground level, to stay within the specs of the
RS-485 chips (-7 to +12V max common mode).

Meindert

Red Fred

Try this link. http://www.commcable.com/lan.htm

You can still get 4 wire Type one Shielded Twisted Pair wire several
other places. It's generally considered 16mb Token ring cable.

Computek..

cable steering Gregory McGuire General 1 June 8th 04 12:52 AM
Fishfinder transducer extension cable hookup? Bob General 2 May 8th 04 10:31 PM
Source for cheap tinned marine battery cable Genuinedealz Boat Building 0 April 21st 04 02:55 PM
Radar Cable Connectors Steve Electronics 2 February 5th 04 08:13 PM
Gear shift cable bob.wright1 UK Power Boats 0 August 9th 03 11:49 AM