BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   high-quality portable fish/depth finder (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/27415-high-quality-portable-fish-depth-finder.html)

[email protected] January 24th 05 09:40 PM

high-quality portable fish/depth finder

Hi,

I am looking for a small, light, simple, and *cheap* fish finder/depth
meter for fishing on my kayak. I do *not* need fancy displays, only
something capable of telling me basically what the bottom looks like,
and help me locate fish.

Ideally, it would be battery-powered, totally portable (not rigged
permanently to the kayak). I have seen one model with two little
sensors which can be hooked to the fishing line and a wrist-watch with
a basic black & white display. The price was 80 bucks a little steep.
Are
these any good?

Is there anything better out there?

I would use it in swamps, creeks, the Intercoastal River in
East-central Florida.
Any advice on models?

Many thanks in advance,

TN

Wayne.B January 25th 05 03:13 AM

On 24 Jan 2005 13:40:16 -0800, wrote:

The price was 80 bucks a little steep.

====================================

If you want cheaper than that, go with a calibrated string with a
sinker on the end.

[email protected] January 26th 05 12:57 PM

Wayne.B wrote:
On 24 Jan 2005 13:40:16 -0800, wrote:

The price was 80 bucks a little steep.

====================================

If you want cheaper than that, go with a calibrated string with a
sinker on the end.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion which I have considered. Beyond strings,
would your expertise extend to an assessment of the following models?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4145%3A5188
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4145%3A5188
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4145%3A5188
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...74&bct=c249089
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...86&bct=c249089
Regards,

TN

Wayne.B January 26th 05 02:49 PM

On 26 Jan 2005 04:57:01 -0800, wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On 24 Jan 2005 13:40:16 -0800,
wrote:

The price was 80 bucks a little steep.

====================================

If you want cheaper than that, go with a calibrated string with a
sinker on the end.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion which I have considered. Beyond strings,
would your expertise extend to an assessment of the following models?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4145%3A5188
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4145%3A5188
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4145%3A5188
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...74&bct=c249089
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...86&bct=c249089

===========================

I have a Garmin 80 for my dinghy and it works OK, nothing special in
my opinion, but OK for the price.

[email protected] January 31st 05 12:20 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all your answers. For the past days, I have looked into
many website discussing various models, and I am slowly leaning towards
getting a Humminbird Piranha Max30. While the price is much more than
I initially wanted to pay, its features look very attractive.

1) I get a smart cast remote sense *AND* a regular sensor rod
2) the regular sensor rod can be mounted with a suction cup anywhere
3) the screen has more details than a wrist-carried one
4) it still runs on batteries

Would anyone have any opinion/remarks/warnings/opinions on this model?
Thanks in advance!

TN