Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Harlan Lachman

Default PCs and BlueChart Data Cards

I am a MacUser. My daughter wants a PC to play pc only games.

I am thinking of surrendering and purchasing an older PC, maybe a
laptop, that can satisfy her agenda (Pentium II, 450 MHz, 128 MB Ram, 16
MB DirectX compliant 3D graphics accelerator). I think such a machine
might also allow me to plot courses with a mouse.

I have a Garmin 182C with BlueChart data cards and the computer cable
(serial port). I have a serial port to USB connector (but no drivers for
it)

Here is the questions I can think of: Can the PC access the data on my
preprogrammed data cards?

If so, what other peripherals do I need?

Finally, am I correct that the same PC that will make my daughter happy
will be suitable for my intended use?

Of course, being ignorant, I accept answers to the question(s) I should
have asked to.

BTW, to those who earlier turned me on to MacGPSY, thank you. It does
almost all I want except plot courses with my Mac.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?