Harlan Lachman

Default PCs and BlueChart Data Cards

I am a MacUser. My daughter wants a PC to play pc only games.

I am thinking of surrendering and purchasing an older PC, maybe a
laptop, that can satisfy her agenda (Pentium II, 450 MHz, 128 MB Ram, 16
MB DirectX compliant 3D graphics accelerator). I think such a machine
might also allow me to plot courses with a mouse.

I have a Garmin 182C with BlueChart data cards and the computer cable
(serial port). I have a serial port to USB connector (but no drivers for
it)

Here is the questions I can think of: Can the PC access the data on my
preprogrammed data cards?

If so, what other peripherals do I need?

Finally, am I correct that the same PC that will make my daughter happy
will be suitable for my intended use?

Of course, being ignorant, I accept answers to the question(s) I should
have asked to.

BTW, to those who earlier turned me on to MacGPSY, thank you. It does
almost all I want except plot courses with my Mac.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Rick

Harlan Lachman wrote:
[...]

May not be powerful enough for any graphic intensive games
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Harlan Lachman wrote:

[...]

Most (If not all) USB/Serial converter boxes have both MacOS/OSX, and
Windoz (98-XP) drivers that can be downloaded of the net.
I run MacOs 9.x.x on my WindTunnel G4 and have both a PCI 4 Port Serial
Card and USB/Serial Converters that bring all my external serial, and
Nema Instruments as well as a couple of different GPS Datastreams.
These all have OSx drivers as well and I do use OSx 10.2.8 on occasion.
When I need to run a PC/WinDoz program, I have found that VirtualPC
works very well, and I also find that by loading the Windoz Native
Drivers into 2000Pro and using them directly, rather than having
the MacOS side of the house to the conversions, works better for me.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @