Kim Lauzon

Default Ipaq Navman & Mapopolis Not!

I have been having problems when using Mapopolis on my Ipaq. My feeling is that Mapopolis is monopolizing the COM port and I am unable to run any other GPS software.

I am running:
Mapopolis version 4.42 on a:
Compaq iPAQ 3635 Pocket PC running
Microsoft Pocket PC ver 3.0.11171 with
the Navman 3450 SE Model: IPAQ GPS v2.0A sleeve.

I have tried warm boots, cold boots, removing the GPS.
Last weekend I reset the iPAQ which erases all software and files.

I installed the software starting with the Navman GPS diagnostic software. The software ran fine.

Next I installed Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005, the actual version is 12.00.07.1200. Once installed it ran fine.

Next I loaded Mapopolis. Without launching it I ran both the Navman GPS diagnostic software and Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 and both ran as expected without any problem. I then launched Mapopolis and it worked well. After closing Mapopolis I tried both the Navman GPS diagnostic software and Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 and nether would run both giving the message:
.. The communications (COM) port is available but no signal is being received.
.. Make sure the GPS receiver is turned on and connected to the connected to the correct port.

I think Mapopolis is a great product and in my opinion much better than Microsoft Streets & Trips.

The main reason I purchased the GPS is so that I could use it on my boat for navigating the waterways. If this problem continues I will unfortunately have to uninstall Mapopolis or only use it in the off-season. I certainly would be nice to use Mapopolis to get to where I want to launch the boat and then use the marine software on the boat.

I find it difficult to believe that I am the only one using the iPAQ/Navman configuration and running more than one software through the GPS. Is it possible that others have tried Mapopolis, run into the same problem and in frustration just given up?

I have been emailing Mapopolis ) almost on a daily basis for the last two weeks and they have not been of any help and today they have thrown the towel in saying there is nothing they can do.

Has any one else had this problem? Did you find a solution or have you given up?