Jack Painter

"Jack Erbes" wrote

Hmmm... You bubbleheads always think you know everything. :)

we are good, roger that!

I'm sure that eventually the manual will also include a statement that:

"An inability on the part of the anyone reading this text to correctly
recall specific details of information and terminology in subsequent
testing is not to be taken as an inference of mental or physical
inferiority. If the reader is traumatized by not being able to meet
required standards for evaluation of intelligence and ability, a waiver
of the standards can be obtained from the Command Career Counselor."

God help us then. At least they did away with the "time out" cards in boot
camp, so I heard.

Oh yeah, one other small correction, the correct term is "flemished",
not flemmed.

I know, thank you. "flemmed" was used in slang only, just like the command
"flem", which rarely escapes a Chief's lips in proper vernacular ;-)

I forgot to include Rat Lines and Lead Line in my examples, there are
probably others.

We used to call steel cable "wire rope" in the Ironworkers also, but I don't
recall ever hearing that in the Navy. Must have been the sheltered life
aboard a Boomer ;-)

Cheers,

Jack
Sailing with the Coast Guard now

Doug

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:59:08 -0500, "Jack Painter" wrote:

"Himszy" LANDLUBBER wrote
"Hans-Marc Olsen" wrote
Real sailors will travel the seven seas without any technology, just

boat made of wood and sails!

What about ropes?

There are no "ropes" on vessels. Boats use LINE.

Very typical statement, usually associated with pedantic armchair sailing
lubbers, or someone whose sailing experience is that they once took a

guided
tour of a pirate ship at Disneyworld.

Let me guess. You also think that a "ship" is a boat that is too big to be
lifted onto another ship.

Bwhahahahahahahaha!

BB

I noticed the bubbleheads didn't jump on the earlier remark about boats
being hoisted aboard ship.
Will this thread now degenerate into discussions of "Pig" boats, "boomers",
etc?
Doug, K7ABX
A former spook, aircraft owner who just qualified 2 weeks ago as a USCG
Auxiliary Boatcrew "person". Lets see, the pointy end called a "bow".....

Jack Painter

"Doug" wrote
wrote
"Jack Painter" wrote:

[...]

Hi Doug, congrats on crew qual. I thought the thread has been a fun
diversion, and saw no need to allow it to "degenerate". My pleasure boating,
navy and coast guard experience need no embellishment, nor do yours of
course. I chose to ignore the "BinaryBill" poster above, that's all.

Best regards,
JP

John F. Hughes

On 2004-12-04, Jack Painter wrote:

"Sailman" wrote

BOLT ROPE.

BOLT-ROPE, (ralingue, Fr.) a rope to which the edges or skirts of the
sails are sewed, to strengthen and prevent them from rending. Those
parts of the bolt-rope, which are on the perpendicular or sloping
edges, are called leech-ropes; that at the bottom, the foot-rope; and
that on the top or upper-edge, the head-rope. Stay-sails, whose heads
are formed like an acute angle, have no head-rope. To different parts
of the bolt-rope are fastened all the ropes employed to contract or
dilate the sails.

That's a pretty neat description, unfortunately it has nothing to do with
the use of lines on a boat or ship. Materials that a sailmaker uses in
construction that help to form a finished product and no longer functions in
any way as an individual component are not examples of which we speak.

OK then, man-ropes and footropes (also, I discover, after some research,
called a "horse," but no matter). Both function as ropes. Neither
is installed by a sailmaker. (There *is* another item, called a
footrope, installed by a sailmaker along the foot of the sail. But
the footrope of which I speak is the one under the yard on which
a yardman might stand while furling or reefing a squaresail.)

So Jack's wrong. And I'm wrong too for following up with
a discussion of ropes in an alectronics newsgroup.

I *can* throw in a simple question for the electronics buffs,
though: what's your favorite way to wire a mast in which there
are things halfway up and things at the top (i.e., spreader-lights
and a steaming light about halfway up, masthead tricolor, anchor light,
maybe wind instruments, and VHF antenna at the top. In particular,
how do you handle the ground wiring. You can run a three-wire cable
up to the spreaders and a separate several wire cable up to the
masthead, where the 3-wire cable has GND, STEAM, and SPREADER,
and the masthead has GND, ANCHOR, TRICOLOR, ...

But that involves an extra gound wire. You could also run a "tap"
from a multi-wire cable at the midpoint to provide ground to the
spreader and anchor lights.

ANy thoughts?

--John

Jack Painter

"John F. Hughes" wrote

I *can* throw in a simple question for the electronics buffs,
though: what's your favorite way to wire a mast in which there
are things halfway up and things at the top (i.e., spreader-lights
and a steaming light about halfway up, masthead tricolor, anchor light,
maybe wind instruments, and VHF antenna at the top. In particular,
how do you handle the ground wiring. You can run a three-wire cable
up to the spreaders and a separate several wire cable up to the
masthead, where the 3-wire cable has GND, STEAM, and SPREADER,
and the masthead has GND, ANCHOR, TRICOLOR, ...

But that involves an extra gound wire. You could also run a "tap"
from a multi-wire cable at the midpoint to provide ground to the
spreader and anchor lights.

ANy thoughts?

--John

What ground wires? DC lighting never uses a ground, what are you talking
about? One positive lead one negative lead, end of lighting story. Of course
in a large mast with thousands od tiny ss screws protruding into it, you
will discover what grounding DC lighting and instruments does unless you
protect the wiring in pvc conduit.

Jack
with never a rope on the boat

John F. Hughes

What ground wires? DC lighting never uses a ground, what are you talking
about? One positive lead one negative lead, end of lighting story. Of course
in a large mast with thousands od tiny ss screws protruding into it, you
will discover what grounding DC lighting and instruments does unless you
protect the wiring in pvc conduit.

Ah. I see your point. Very helpful. Manrope.

The only real sailors Poppa Pimple ASA 4 November 26th 03 02:29 AM
Alien crew are real sailors Bobsprit ASA 26 November 2nd 03 08:35 PM
For real sailors GAZ General 5 August 26th 03 07:29 PM
Real Sailors Only need Apply!!! Bobsprit ASA 66 August 7th 03 02:56 AM