Bill Rhine

Default Decision on which GPS unit to Purchase

I now have a small boat (17 ft.) on Lake Oachita in Arkansas. I have
Lowrance Sonar and need to equip this boat with a GPS Mapping unit since
where I have my boat is very close to timber "Stickups". So to navigate into
the clear waterway, I want to be able to have fairly accurate Mapping
information. I have been looking at both the Garmin 168 and the Lowrance
LMS-480M.. I would apprecite any suggestions anyone may be able to
offer.Also is there any major benefit to Color over Greyscale.I would be
using a Laptop to record all of my routes. Thanks for any insight you may be
able to offer.
Hayward

Jack Erbes

Bill Rhine wrote:

snip Also is there any major benefit to Color over Greyscale.I would be
using a Laptop to record all of my routes. Thanks for any insight you may be
able to offer.

I have not used a Lowrance yet. The Garmin 168 uses 4 levels of gray to
differentiate details whereas some of the newer models like the 188 and
238 use 10 levels of gray.

The 10 gray level models show details better than the 4 level. Of the
two, I like the 10 level grayscale models best and find both the 4 and
10 usable in daylight or at night. For use at night, the grayscale
models have adjustable backlighting that works well.

The 188 and 238 can also use dual frequency transponders which is a nice
feature. It gives you some options for covering broader areas or going
for better detail at deeper depths.

Color is nice. It seems sort of like an eye candy issue at first but
after you use them a while you'll probably find you can discern certain
specifics more quickly at a glance because of the color distinction.
You can come to like them more real quickly.

I would try to look at the color model in direct sunlight if I could
before I bought one to make sure it is bright enough to work well in
direct sunlight. If you will be using it at night, see if the
brightness is controllable, the ones that work good in daylight need to
be turned way down at night to keep from overwhelming your night vision
and just being a general annoyance.

If you're wearing polarized sunglasses, you will have trouble seeing
things on any LCD. You will pretty much have to take the sunglasses off
to read the LCD.

Downloading marks and routes with an accessory PC cable works well, the
newer ones (188, 238) also use a data card (proprietary to Garmin) that
can be used for up and down loads. You can get a USB port reader/writer
so that you can use the data cards to move map data, waypoints, and
routes, between the GPS/sounder and a PC.

If you go for the Garmins with the data cards you will be locked into
buying your charts from them (on CD-ROM's or pre-programmed data cards)
if you're going to be on waters for which charting is available.

The prices on the Garmin 188 and 238 are coming down some since they
introduced the newer, bigger, color displays. If I were going to buy a
new GPS/sounder now I'd compare the cost difference between a 168 and a
188 or even 238 to see if I couldn't gain the 10 level display, dual
frequency transponder, and data card features at a nominal increase in
price. Check the internet prices or eBay for the best deals.

Good luck!

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com
Jack Erbes

Dennis Pogson wrote:

snip
Best sunscreen is the helmet used by F16 fighter pilots with built-in UV
filtering and a head-up display! (Full colour)

You should be able to pick up an old one from the USAF for around $10,000,
and work out the connections!

Your crew will be suitably impressed!

No good. It will mess up your suntan! :)

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

Keith

You're using a laptop on a 17' boat? Why not just use a chartplotter program
like Nobeltec or The Cap'n? Hook it up to the cheapest Garmin GPS you can
find for input.

If you really want a GPS/Chartplotter combo, stick with Garmin, and get
color if you can afford it. If not, good grayscale is fine.

--

Keith
__
"Bill Rhine" wrote in message
I now have a small boat (17 ft.) on Lake Oachita in Arkansas. I have
Lowrance Sonar and need to equip this boat with a GPS Mapping unit since
where I have my boat is very close to timber "Stickups". So to navigate
into the clear waterway, I want to be able to have fairly accurate Mapping
information. I have been looking at both the Garmin 168 and the Lowrance
LMS-480M.. I would apprecite any suggestions anyone may be able to
offer.Also is there any major benefit to Color over Greyscale.I would be
using a Laptop to record all of my routes. Thanks for any insight you may
be able to offer.
Hayward

Larry

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:59:06 -0500, Bill Rhine wrote:

I now have a small boat (17 ft.) on Lake Oachita in Arkansas. I have
Lowrance Sonar and need to equip this boat with a GPS Mapping unit since
where I have my boat is very close to timber "Stickups". So to navigate into
the clear waterway, I want to be able to have fairly accurate Mapping
information. I have been looking at both the Garmin 168 and the Lowrance
LMS-480M.. I would apprecite any suggestions anyone may be able to
offer.Also is there any major benefit to Color over Greyscale.I would be
using a Laptop to record all of my routes. Thanks for any insight you may be
able to offer.
Hayward

I have a Garmin 168 which I just replaced with a Garmin 188. The old one
is about 1 year old and is available for sale with mapping software and a
computer cable. It works perfectly. However, I would be less than honest
if I didn't tell you that I replaced the 168 because I could not read it
with the sun in front of me. My boat is a Utopia 185, an 18.5' jet boat
with an open cockpit of the "bowrider" design. If I put the top up, it was
easier to read, but I like the sun. I am 63 and have reasonably good eyes
(I wear reading glasses, but not while boating).

The biggest benefit to color is the brightness of the screen. The 188 is
much brighter than the 168.

I don't think the accuracy of ANY GPS device is sufficient to navigate in
close to obstructions. However, you can make notes and place them on the
electronic charts, particularly with the mapping software.

I am gone most of today, but will check email tonight if this interests
you.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Bill Rhine

Thank you very much Jack for your detailed information,particulary on the
Gray Scale levels which I was not awareof from reading the published specs.
Thanks again-Bill Rhine, Hot Springs"Jack Erbes"
wrote in message ...
Bill Rhine wrote:

[...]

( OT ) Bush in the National Guard: A primer Jim General 33 September 26th 04 04:13 PM
Outboard lower unit oil color Jeff Durham General 2 May 30th 04 07:28 AM
A truly great man! John Cairns ASA 24 December 4th 03 05:20 PM
seeking auto pilot sensing unit Sharp ! Helmut \(DF7ZS\) Boat Building 1 July 18th 03 08:42 AM
Seeking: Auto Pilot Sensing Unit Sharp Helmut \(DF7ZS\) UK Power Boats 0 July 17th 03 08:35 AM