Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default Windows XP SP2 and Nav Software

Just a word about my experieces with XP SP2. I've had occasion to
perform several upgrades so far on my own and customer systems. The
installed nav software was CAPN Voyager 6.1.3, Maptech Ocean Navigator
5.04, OziExplorer 3.95.3e, and several releases of my own software
(cpRepeater).

So far, I have no problems to report. The new, somewhat more
effective Windows firewall initially blocks network traffic from
cpRepeater in networking mode, as it should. It only takes a single
mouse click the first time you start cpRepeater to unblock its network
traffic. Anybody that has ever used an effective software firewall
like ZoneAlarm will instantly recognize the process.

For more information about SP2 , check out:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2

Briefly, SP2 is a significant upgrade to the security of WindowsXP.
It's like a flak jacket - it doesn't make you absolutely bullet proof,
but it stops a lot of the small caliber stuff. :-) There are other
features, but I regard security as the compelling one. Most of the
security issues addressed by SP2 will have already been handled by the
expert user with add-on firewalls, third party email packages, and a
replacement browser like Mozilla Firefox (highly recommended! I
switched a few months ago and I find it to be superior in every way.
YMMV).

For a naked XP system with an internet connection, SP2 is a very
important upgrade, but it is not trivial. You should definitely read
*all* the information at the above link before upgrading, but my
personal opinion is that you should upgrade when it is convenient.
Backup your system first!

If I happen to uncover any problems with nav software and SP2, I'll
post it here, but the original distirbutors of the software are the
authoritative source.

Glen
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/