ANDY PHILLEY

Default NEGATIVE CHARGE THROUGHOUT HULL

I have a 2002 Smokercraft. I was doing some testing for my
downriggers and I noticed I have a negative flow through my boat. Is
this normal? I found this by un-hooking my negative lead from the
battery. I then hooked a test light between the post and the hull and
it lit up. Do I have a problem?
Keith Hughes

It just means that something was "on" and drawing current. The testlight
just completed the circuit (just like the battery cable did before you
disconnected it). With everything "off" (i.e. nothing pulling current,
like maybe a clock - in the radio, microwave, GPS etc., or the radio,
DVD/VCR, or anything else), you should not light the test light. If the
light still lights with nothing on, then you have a short (i.e. positive
lead connection to ground) not a 'negative charge'.

Keith

ANDY PHILLEY wrote:
I have a 2002 Smokercraft. I was doing some testing for my
downriggers and I noticed I have a negative flow through my boat. Is
this normal? I found this by un-hooking my negative lead from the
battery. I then hooked a test light between the post and the hull and
it lit up. Do I have a problem?

ANDY PHILLEY

Keith to the best of my knowledge nothing was on. I only have lights,
bilge, motor and fish finder hooked up. So with everything off I get
the reading. So you think I have a positive wire somewhere touching
the aluminum hull or some other part of the boat?

ANDY PHILLEY wrote:
I have a 2002 Smokercraft. I was doing some testing for my
downriggers and I noticed I have a negative flow through my boat. Is
this normal? I found this by un-hooking my negative lead from the
battery. I then hooked a test light between the post and the hull and
it lit up. Do I have a problem?

Keith Hughes

Andy,

I'd say maybe so...but, take a careful look for any "stealth" devices
that are on. If you have a radio/cd/cassette deck, these are prime
culprits for being "on" when you don't think they aren't. Typically they
have a hot lead for both "switched" and "unswitched" power (for car
applications mostly), and the unswitched provides power for things like
the imbedded clock, and power for the volatile memory used for station
presets and the like. If in doubt, pull the fuses (for the radio) out.

It takes little current draw to light a test lamp, so any little draw
will do it. It's also possible the fishfinder draws a minimal current
for its volatile memory, but it's hard to be certain. Disconnect the
power lines (fuses or plugs) from all the electrical devices, one at a
time, and check with the test light until you find the one causing it.
If it still lights when all are disconnected and/or off, you do indeed
have a short to ground somewhere. Pulling fuses, one by one, is a good
place to find such a short.

BTW, the short doesn't have to be to-the-hull, just through a device
(motor, lights, etc.). Anything that completes the circuit will cause
the situation you've observed.

OTOH, if you're not having any battery draining issues, it's probably
just a minor draw, from some 'semi-awake' device that isn't going to
cause you any problems. Good luck!

Keith