BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Newbi?. Battery charging question?Thanks. (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/13588-re-newbi-battery-charging-question-thanks.html)

Reza July 25th 04 08:02 AM

Newbi?. Battery charging question?Thanks.

Thank you very much Wayne.B for your fast answer, actually now I
understood that I did'nt explain my situation properly in the first
post.

You see I bought this battery brand new just a couple of weeks ago,
and I have no problems with my jet ski charging system or the battrey
whatsoever, what I was conserned about is the fact that sometimes I
leave the battery for 3 or 4 month and it dies on me, and won't hold a
charge anymore, so I have to keep buying a new battery, I was just
wondering if what I'm doing will keep the battery healthy even if I
keep it hooked up that way for a year or more.

Thanks again.

Bob

Dennis Pogson July 25th 04 10:27 AM

Reza wrote:
Thank you very much Wayne.B for your fast answer, actually now I
understood that I did'nt explain my situation properly in the first
post.

You see I bought this battery brand new just a couple of weeks ago,
and I have no problems with my jet ski charging system or the battrey
whatsoever, what I was conserned about is the fact that sometimes I
leave the battery for 3 or 4 month and it dies on me, and won't hold a
charge anymore, so I have to keep buying a new battery, I was just
wondering if what I'm doing will keep the battery healthy even if I
keep it hooked up that way for a year or more.

Thanks again.

Bob

Some of the chargers supplied for electric golf caddies are extremely clever
in that you simply leave the battery on charge all the time you are not
using the battery, and it stops charging or goes to a trickle charge when
the battery is fully charged. My wife's golf caddy battery has been left
this way for the past 6 years and still manages 36 holes! I don't know if
you play golf, or whether your listed charger has this facility, but it's
worth a try!

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Wayne.B July 25th 04 12:51 PM

On 25 Jul 2004 00:02:43 -0700, (Reza) wrote:

I was just
wondering if what I'm doing will keep the battery healthy even if I
keep it hooked up that way for a year or more.

Walmart is selling a very decent smart charger these days which can be
hooked up indefinitly with no damage. The set up you are using with
the timer should work OK also if you can find the right charge
interval. One hour a week should be plenty in my opinion.

Reza July 26th 04 01:47 PM

Newbi?. Battery charging question?Thanks.

Thanks, I'll buy a trickle charger and leave it for 2 hours, once a week.

P.S I don't know why my messages are splitting up into seperate posts...oh well.

Thanks again.