posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Anybody here who has MaxSea 10.3.2.1 working under Windows 7 64-bit?

I tried to install MaxSea 10.3.2.1 on a new laptop with W7 Home
Premium.
Installation went fine but it won't run.
Anybody here who found a solution?

Regards,
Len.

Len wrote:
I tried to install MaxSea 10.3.2.1 on a new laptop with W7 Home
Premium.
Installation went fine but it won't run.
Anybody here who found a solution?

Regards,
Len.

Right-click the icon, and (always) run as administrator.
Might work.....
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:16:36 -0700 (PDT), Len
wrote:

I tried to install MaxSea 10.3.2.1 on a new laptop with W7 Home
Premium.
Installation went fine but it won't run.
Anybody here who found a solution?

Regards,
Len.

Yes, I've installed MaxSea 10 - something ion Windows 7 on a desktop
(test) and two laptops. An Eee-900 and a Lenovo (don't remember the
version) Work fine.

The only "modification" I made was to set the program to run in
Windows XP mode.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 03:46:23 +0000, Larry wrote:

Len wrote in news:de4faa89-476d-416c-87b8-
:

I tried to install MaxSea 10.3.2.1 on a new laptop with W7 Home
Premium.
Installation went fine but it won't run.
Anybody here who found a solution?

Regards,
Len.

Why in hell would anyone buy a new 64-bit Win7 laptop to replace a
perfectly-good-working WinXP (or whatever it was) laptop that MaxSea
10.3.2.1 ran perfectly under?

Is there a motive I missed??

Hot damned. you must be some sort of an old Fuddy-Duddy. Don't you
want to be updated to the latest thing (:-?)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce wrote in
:

Hot damned. you must be some sort of an old Fuddy-Duddy. Don't you
want to be updated to the latest thing (:-?)

Not if it means losing valid navigation that's working.....

I am an old Fuddy Duddy, however....but no iPhone/pad/pod/touch or anything
else controlled by someone else.

Too bad the softwares are for WinXP, not Ubuntu Linux.

--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics.

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:07:10 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce wrote in
:

Hot damned. you must be some sort of an old Fuddy-Duddy. Don't you
want to be updated to the latest thing (:-?)

Not if it means losing valid navigation that's working.....

I am an old Fuddy Duddy, however....but no iPhone/pad/pod/touch or anything
else controlled by someone else.

No hand phone, or just the old "number's only" cell phone?

Too bad the softwares are for WinXP, not Ubuntu Linux.

You could try setting up a virtual system - I think Ubuntu can do
that, or running it under Wine, although I don't know about Wine and
USB ports.

I do run Forte Agent in a Wine window and have for several years
now,with no problems. Other then the initial Wine installation which
sometimes seems to be successful and at other times not for some
unexplainable reason, having to do with gecko I think.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce wrote in
:

No hand phone, or just the old "number's only" cell phone?

USA nationwide service on Verizon Wireless' most complete system, the
best of the best in the USA.....

50 cents per month user fee + 3.6 cents per minute ($US2.16/hour)
prepaid on MVNO system of Pageplus Cellular. No $4000 phone bills, no
bogus fees and charges noone can explain, no Verizon wienies lying to
you every time they open their mouths. NOONE beats Pageplus for service
and price point.

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

The numbers on this website need to be updated. It used to cost us
5.3c/min, but $80 PINs now get you 2000 minutes for about $72 with the
discounts Callingmart gives us so the price numbers on the webpage are
too high but the concept works great:

http://nordicgroup.us/prepaid/pageplus.html

We must buy "something", even if it's only a $10 payment, within 120
days of the last entry. It's as simple as entering the PIN number we
get from Callingmart.com. We can buy PINs at big discounts when
Callingmart has a sale, then store the PIN on Callingmart until our next
120 days is up....or....you can store the PIN up to a year on
Callingmart's account to use any time you like.

Noone here beats the price point. Verizon has the finest coverage of
any carrier in the USA and Pageplus uses the same system across the
country.

Yep...."just the old "number's only" cell phone". That's me.

No monthly bill....NO FUNNY BUSINESS....No giving back minutes every
month you don't use, which is crazy.

Last month's cellular service cost me less than $11US

--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics.

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 02:00:06 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce wrote in
:

[...]

You are right down to what us benighted 3rd world residents pay. I use
prepaid refills - the most popular phone scheme in Thailand, and it
seldom costs me US$ 12.00 a month. Usually a bit less.

And I can travel anywhere in the country and the cost per minute is
the same. No long distance changes. Actually, a hand phone is cheaper
then a land line as the land line charges long distance charges for
anywhere outside your local area.

New Subject:

Am in the process of making a wi-fi "dual quad" antenna, two diamond
shaped lobes with the feed line and ground connected at each side at
the center.. . My question is if the actual shape of the lobes is
critical, assuming that the length of the loop is correct. In other
words, if it were two triangles instead of two squares would it make a
measurable difference?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce wrote in
:

Am in the process of making a wi-fi "dual quad" antenna, two diamond
shaped lobes with the feed line and ground connected at each side at
the center.. . My question is if the actual shape of the lobes is
critical, assuming that the length of the loop is correct. In other
words, if it were two triangles instead of two squares would it make a
measurable difference?

Wrong thinking. The quad has side and rear reception. Unless you live
in a totally rural (in Bangkok??!! HA!!) area with no other interfering
signals, your enemy is other stations getting into your receiver,
crashing with your packets coming from the node. Quads are for HF,
maybe VHF to 150 Mhz as I had dual 2 meter quads up for years. Wifi is
a microwave band where microwave antennas are king. Waveguide antennas
are far better than any quad at 2.4Ghz. The N band at 5.5 Ghz is even
worse. Every time someone within 5 miles lights off a 2.450 Ghz leaky
microwave oven, your signal is trashed.

Build one of these for almost nothing:
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Look at the various designs and note the gain and interference figures.
That quad would be 10 meters long in a tin shed to even come close to a
good Pringle's can with the internal flatwasher tuning to set its
bandwidth for only this band.

We're building this one:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
His gain measurements are very close to our observations:

Here were the average received signal and noise readings from each, in
roughly the same position:

Antenna Signal Noise
10db A: -83db -92db
10db B: -83db -92db
11db: -82db -95db
24db: -67db -102db
Pringles can
(shotgun): -78db -99db
Pringles can
(internal): -81db -98db

Here's your other enemy:

"The test partner (AP side) signal results were virtually the same.
Interestingly, even at only 0.6 mile, we saw some thermal fade effect;
as the evening turned into night, we saw about 3db gain across the board
(it had been a particularly hot day: almost 100 degrees. I don't know
what the relative humidity was, but it felt fairly dry.)"

That quad would have to be a thousand metres in the air to keep from
seeing the hot buildings and parking lots around it. Night shots are
much less noisy. At 2.4Ghz, the thermal noise is a killer.

Two 12db Pringles cans like his will connect up in flat terrain about 4
km, reliably, if there are no obstructions. Mountain top to mountain
top, 10 km is easy, maybe 15 km is possible.

It's about 1.5km between my public hotspot with a 3db omnidirectional
antenna running 200mw ERP up 10 meters inside an inverted plastic bucket
to keep the rain off my router on Channel 6, to the Pringle's antennas
on top of the enlisted barracks at the Air Force Base. Except in rain
storms, which suck up 2.4Ghz like a carbon sponge, the boys have a
nicely usable signal over that path. There isn't much interference
because I'm across the street from the base and the Air Force doesn't
trust wifi for its own stuff, of course, so that keeps them off the air.
Works great...(c;]

--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics.

Larry

WANTED: SGC SG-2000 - - Working or Not Working W7GSA Electronics 6 July 21st 07 08:19 PM
WANTED: SGC SG-2000 SSB marine radio - - Working or Not Working W7GSA ASA 0 July 19th 07 06:49 PM
WANTED: SGC SG-2000 Working or Not Working W7GSA General 0 July 19th 07 06:29 PM
maxsea 7.3 Sea Escapade Cruising 0 July 5th 05 02:39 PM
MaxSea on a Mac M.L. Browne Electronics 1 April 10th 04 06:46 PM