Junior Member

Lightbulb Frustrated

I have been trying for several days to get my Garmin 178C GPS to connect to my Simrad IS15 Combi and wind instruments. I have followed up with Garmin to insure I am sending on com port 1 and have set the Simrad IS15 Combi to recieve but I think there is a data recognition problem between the 2 devices. Is there some setting on the Garmin I can change to assist the communication with the 2 devices?? Anyone out there who can assist. Would greatly appreciate any advice/help. Thanks David
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Frustrated

On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:45:07 +0100, David Brunning
wrote:

I have been trying for several days to get my Garmin 178C GPS to connect
to my Simrad IS15 Combi and wind instruments. I have followed up with
Garmin to insure I am sending on com port 1 and have set the Simrad
IS15 Combi to recieve but I think there is a data recognition problem
between the 2 devices. Is there some setting on the Garmin I can change
to assist the communication with the 2 devices?? Anyone out there who
can assist. Would greatly appreciate any advice/help. Thanks David

According to the IS15 manual, the unit uses a two-wire connection for
NMEA input, and I expect that the Garmin 178 has a single wire (plus
ground)output. You should connect the IS15 NMEA "B" or "LOW" input
wire (black or gray, I think) to DC ground.

The Garmin 178 should be set for NMEA-0183 output, at 4800 baud.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca