..be..

Default Anything worth listening to on 50Mhz/six metre band?

Hi,
My HF transceiver has a separate 50MHz band. I occasionally plug the
backstay in and surf the band to see if there is anything happening,
but I've yet to pick anything up. Is it used commercially are there
any popular frequencies/regular skeds? (I'm south west pacific.)

cheers
bruce
Geoff

...be.. wrote:
Hi,
My HF transceiver has a separate 50MHz band. I occasionally plug the
backstay in and surf the band to see if there is anything happening,
but I've yet to pick anything up. Is it used commercially are there
any popular frequencies/regular skeds? (I'm south west pacific.)

cheers
bruce

The lower end of the 50MHz (6 Meter) band is Amateur Radio

Enjoy,

Geoff. N7DYX
Priest River, Id
Leanne

The lower end of the 50MHz (6 Meter) band is Amateur Radio

This band is not open 24/7 like some, but when it does, you can have a lot
of fun with the 'E' and 'F' layer skip upwards of 3000 miles. When we liven
in West Tennessee, I worked 44 states and 4 countries in about two months
during the openings. One summer I have bi-weekly schedule with a Cuban
station. Listen at 50.110-130 for usb signals above that is AM and 52.525 is
the FM calling frequency.

If you are hearing a lot of unusual stuff on the 28 Mhz, then move on up to
50 Mhz and have fun. Here in the US, when TV channels 2 and 3 use to act up
wih interference from distant not normally seen stations, due to band
openings, then it was a good bet that 6 was open too. High sunspot activity
is a thing to look for also.

Leanne - At one time an avid 6 meter Ax's

Doug

At one time the US 50-54 MHz ham band was going to be TV channel 1. I heard
there was some compromises worked out over loss of the old 5-1/2 meter band
and the hams ended up down in channel 1 and the TV guys lost the channel
number.
I remember working the Philippine Islands back in the '58 sunspot peak with
a hand held Springfield Enterprises packset, running about 1/4 watt out.
Also working Aurora bounce with the 3 element yagi pointed north during the
ARRL field day in 59 running a Gonset "Gooney" box...what a way to work CA
from NW Oregon. LOL
73
Doug K7ABX

"Leanne" wrote in message

[...]

..be..

hey thanks for the frequencies, the aerial component of my backstay is
about 24ft long, i use an antennae tuner, is that sufficient or am i
way off the mark, could i just unplug the cable from the 0-30Mhz band
and expect it to heard?

cheers