Tom

Default How to start a boat without the key

Is it possible to start a boat engine without the key? The boat is a
1998 Sea Rayder with a Mercury 175hp jet drive.

I sold the boat two years ago. The person that purchased the boat from
me didn't register it and the boat is now in an impound yard. It is
mine if I pay the fees to get it out. The most important item I want to
check is the engine but I don't have a key and I won't know if there is
one on the boat until I pay my $40 to look at the boat in person.

The key/throttle is the standard type you would see on any of the Sea
Ray boats. If it helps, as I recall the top of the shifter is a 1" dia
ball and to shift into forward or reverse you lift a funnel shaped
washer located under the ball.

Also, if there isn't any water available for running the engine, will
only the water pump impeller be destroyed if I run the engine for a few
seconds?

S/V Tranquility

Tom,
I don't want to come across as a naysayer, but be sure of what you are
doing. If the boat was sold and the buyer has a bill of sale, the boat is
still his, regardless of whether it was registered. It would be a shame to
bail the boat out of the impound lot just to have the owner lay legal claim
to it. Just be sure the impound lot provides you with the paperwork to
obtain a title under the storage lien.
OK, with that said, Yes, you can start the engine without a key. It
depends on whether the engine has a magneto or coil which way the wires need
to be connected/disconnected. The water impeller will probably survive a
quick dry start, but it would be safer to turn the motor over by hand and
check it's mechanical condition that way. After 2 years, the carb is likely
gummed up anyway.
Good Luck

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Rick

you can hot wire the ignition. I do not know about damage from
running. You can run a outboard for a few seconds with out any damage
but, jet drives may present a different problem.

Rick

Tom wrote:

[...]

SAIL LOCO

Sounds like you want to sneak onto the yard after dark to escape paying the
$40.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Tom

Sounds like you want to sneak onto the yard after dark to escape paying the
$40.

To enter the yard and look at the boat I must pay $40. I have learned
that since I have a bill of sale for the boat, no matter what the
Department of Motor Vehicles says, I don't own the boat and can't unless
the current owner gives me a signed letter releasing interest in the
boat to me.

I'm going to walk away from the boat and let it be auctioned away unless
I can somehow get a clear title for the boat.

Larry

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:23:58 GMT, Tom wrote:

Also, if there isn't any water available for running the engine, will
only the water pump impeller be destroyed if I run the engine for a few
seconds?

According to Mercury, yes, you would damage it. I have a Utopia 185 jet
boat with a Mercury 200 hp jet drive. The Merc manual says absolutely do
not run it without water. Note, there is a connection for a garden hose,
at least in mine.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com