Doug Dotson

Default Ham Radio Licenses

Huh?

"SB" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
it IS a small portion....but it's the fun portion isn't it?! LF for those
long tx's?
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
The CW portions of the bands is a fairly small sliver. I'm sure they
will be released to general use when the code requirement goes
away though.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"SB" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
well, I wouldn't say we're in the dark ages....we did drop the 12wpm
requirement (except for testers).

I think there should be a qualification for using code....sure, call

it
boy scout badge type thing....but I also think there should be

something
for
digital tx and whatever else...

I just wish they didn't withhold so much of the band JUST because of
morse....

I've seen independence day....and how morse saved the day!! I think

it
should stay to SOME degree!!

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
Unfortunately Canada is still in the dark ages. According to the

Industry
Canada web site we currently have 3 classes:

Basic, which has no code requirement but only allows use of

frequencies
above 30 MHz,
Morse Code, which allows use of all ham frequencies, and
Advanced, which allows use of more power and home built transmitters
There is a PDF document for download at

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter.../sf01008e.html

I'm sure we will not drop the code requirement until the US does.

"Stan Winikoff" wrote in message
om...
I have been told that the Morse Code requirement for a Ham license

is
required by international treaty. Others have said the requirement
will soon go by the wayside. I find the written and theory parts

of
the Ham exam easy but code is an insurmountable obsticle for me.

Any
chance that code will be dropped soon as a requirement for

anything
more than a Novice license.

Vito

"SB" wrote

I think there should be a qualification for using code....

Me too, just not *Morse* code. Unlike Morse, tap code can be learned
instantly and doesn't need "dashes" or "dahs" (Try sending Morse with a
hammer). Simply arrange the alphabet in a 5 by 5 matrix omitting "K". "A"
is 1-1, "B" is 1-2 (tap pause tap tap) ... "L" is 3-1, and so on. Send "C"
for "K". Simply write the numbers to copy tap code then decode using your
matrix. Now you too know tap code. It takes mucho longer to learn Morse.

I've seen independence day....and how morse saved the day!!

You sure that wasn't Tap Code? That's what all the trapped miners,
submariners, etc, used in the other "B" movies.

Now here you are adrift with a radio, but the microphone is busted. It'll
key the transmitter but not modulate it. Would you send Morse and hope
somebody out there knows it, or send tap code tht everybody understands?

Jack Painter

"Vito" wrote
"SB" wrote

[...]

Vito, I'm sure creative imaginations could find more reasons for code, but
they fit movie scenarios better than realistic needs for communication
today. I don't see today's offshore cruiser or even occassional venturer
being without an EPIRB, DSC-capable vhf, DSC-capable SSB, satcom, cellphone,
etc. Of course a good floatplan is filed with a responsible person and the
missing of more than one check-in would initiate a trackline SAR.. Morse or
"tap" are just not in the picture. Leave the code to hollywood, and the
printed card that could be kept in a ditch bag and the nav/comm station, so
nobody ever has to memorize it.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Va

Vito

"Jack Painter" wrote in message

"Vito" wrote
"SB" wrote
I've seen independence day....and how morse saved the day!!

Now here you are adrift with a radio, but the microphone is busted.

It'll
key the transmitter but not modulate it. Would you send Morse and hope
somebody out there knows it, or send tap code tht everybody understands?

Vito, I'm sure creative imaginations could find more reasons for code, but
they fit movie scenarios better than realistic needs for communication

What!! grin, you don't believe what you saw in "Judgement Day"? Next
you'll say we need float plans and electronics devices instead of prayer.

James Johnson

Some people are tone deaf, and others are visual learners and not auditory, and
some very talented and intelligent people were unable to learn 5 WPM morse even
after long and extensive work. Their brains are just not 'wired' that way.

You cannot extrapolate your learning experiences that way as what is easy or
moderately difficult for you may be near or totally impossible for others.

JJ

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:52:01 -0700, "Tom Dacon" wrote:

" I find the written and theory parts of
the Ham exam easy but code is an insurmountable obsticle for me.

There's no need for the code to be an insurmountable obstacle. Get a copy of
a PC-based Morse code tutor program (such as Morse Tutor Gold, or search the
web for Morse code tutoring software), and spend just thirty minutes a day
at it. In no time at all, you'll find that you can read the code at five
words per minute. Just give it a try and you'll be surprised.

Good luck,
Tom Dacon
AD7AE

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

LLongiii

If you ASK the Volunteer Examiner at the time of testing, they can and will
arrange for lights, bells or ANY other device to take the code test.

I had the same problem, but eventually passed the 13 wpm test.

The people administering the test will bend over backwards to help.

Leonard, KJ5DL
Advanced Class Accredited Volunteer Examiner (ARRL & W5YI-VEC)
"KJ5DL @ N34 38.253 W092 07.177"
"Do illiterate people get the full value of Alphabet Soup?"
Doug Dotson

And if you have a bonifide learning or physical disability,
you can get an exemption from the FCC. My experience has
been that most that cry foul about learnig code do so because
they failed to learn it after two or three evenings of trying. It
takes work, some more than others.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"LLongiii" wrote in message
If you ASK the Volunteer Examiner at the time of testing, they can and

will
arrange for lights, bells or ANY other device to take the code test.

I had the same problem, but eventually passed the 13 wpm test.

The people administering the test will bend over backwards to help.

Leonard, KJ5DL
Advanced Class Accredited Volunteer Examiner (ARRL & W5YI-VEC)
"KJ5DL @ N34 38.253 W092 07.177"
"Do illiterate people get the full value of Alphabet Soup?"

Vito

I beg to disagree. Every complaint I have heard focuses on the fact that
Morse Code is so obsolete that it has no practical value, not on its
difficulty per se. People who have spent 12 years attending high school then
four and more in college learning useful things are reluctant to spend even
a dozen hours learning something ase useless (to them) as Morse Code.

"Doug Dotson" wrote
..... My experience has been that most that cry foul about learnig code do

so because
they failed to learn it after two or three evenings of trying. It takes

work, some more than others.

LLongiii

Why continue to complain about something you can't change? It started out to be
5 wpm for novice, 13 wpm for General and 21 wpm for Extra.

It is now 5 wpm for ALL. Until they drop the REQUIREMENT, it is still there.

Go for the no-code tset and keep trying.
Your outhe option is a sat-phone.

Leonard
KJ5DL
"KJ5DL @ N34 38.253 W092 07.177"
"Do illiterate people get the full value of Alphabet Soup?"
Doug Dotson

Just a cop-out. I suspect that folks learn alot more useless
(and incorrect) things in school than having to learn the code.
The requirement is there, deal with it! Whining isn't going
to make the requirement go away nor will it get a license.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista