kruliczek

Default new boat antenna, mount and vhf radio

So I have a bayliner model # 1952 19 foot cuddy and a icom 402 radio

will this work well with a shekspeare 5240 antenna (3 footer)

and how 's the best wat to mount radio , antenna and all the gear in this boat?

thanks
William G. Andersen

I've got a Bayliner 1950 - the bowrider version of your boat.
I ran wire from the battery up the port side of the boat, under the gunwale
to the passenger side dashboard for power. I screwed the mount for the radio
to the right end, forward edge of the shelf under the dashboard. The radio's
easy to use from either seat. I put the microphone storage clip on the right
end of the passenger dashboard. You should be able to wire it more easily
from the dashboard, since you can route the wires in the cuddy. With my open
walk way, I had no easy way to get power from one side of the dashboard to
the other.
The 3' antenna should be OK, depending on where you're boating. The radio
waves travel in line of sight and the base of your antenna's only going to
be 3' above the water
I have a wakeboard tower that I use as a radar arch for a standard 8' tall
antenna. It's easy enough to mount an antenna on the side of your boat so
that it can lay down for trailering. Before you start drilling holes, decide
how the antenna wire's going to be routed to the radio and make sure the
antenna won't be in the way when you put up the top, participate in
watersports, etc. It's also a good idea to add a support for the end of the
antenna, so it doesn't shake violently when trailering: that will strain the
mount and you hull.

om...