BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   nmea installation (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/11016-nmea-installation.html)

Gabriel Latrémouille January 27th 04 02:54 PM

nmea installation

Does anyone have suggestions on how to provide NMEA data to several
"listeners" for example autohelm and radar. Here is the setup: I feed
several NMEA enabled instruments output to a laptop via a NMEA multiplexer
then, feed the NMEA data stream to an autopilot and radar using the com
RS232 port. However I have a single com port. How do I feed both listeners?

Gabriel

Meindert Sprang January 27th 04 03:16 PM

nmea installation

"Gabriel Latrémouille" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Does anyone have suggestions on how to provide NMEA data to several
"listeners" for example autohelm and radar. Here is the setup: I feed
several NMEA enabled instruments output to a laptop via a NMEA multiplexer
then, feed the NMEA data stream to an autopilot and radar using the com
RS232 port. However I have a single com port. How do I feed both

listeners?

By connecting the TX wire from the com port to both listeners. Also, some
multiplexers provide a 'real' NMEA output, on which the data from the laptop
is available. Such an output is capable (or at least should be) of driving
four listeners.

Take a look at this page: www.shipmodul.com/en/connections.html Fig. 6 at
the bottom shows how multiple listeners can be connected to a single talker.
In case of your com port, forget about the Out B on the multiplexer.

Meindert

Gabriel Latrémouille January 27th 04 09:50 PM

nmea installation

Meindert,
Thank for the link. Just what I needed.
Thanks

Meindert Sprang January 27th 04 11:35 PM

nmea installation

"Gabriel Latrémouille" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Meindert,