Steve

Default circuit breaker installation

Dear all

I just got a blue seas 40A thermal circuit breaker to protect my main
panel feed. I was surprised to see that the terminal are marked 'batt'
and 'load' or something similar. Because the wires are thick and space
is tight it would be easier to connect it the other way round. Is
there really any polarity to this ? Would it make any difference which
way round it was connected ?

Thanks

Steve
Larry W4CSC

This isn't one of those horrid self-resetting little boxes with two
screw terminals is it? I hope not. They keep feeding the short every
few minutes to give it more chance to start a fire when you're not
aboard. The damned things should be outlawed! Once a breaker trips,
it should STAY TRIPPED.

Is this breaker at the battery end of the primary wiring? Few put
them there, but that's where a main breaker should be mounted....at
the battery box. Then, if there's a short in the primary wires, the
breaker trips instead of the battery exploding or melting wires
starting a fire. Lionheart has appropriately sized large spade fuses
on the side of her battery box for all main circuits to panels and a
250A master fuse to her starter.

Most boats I see have unprotected primary wiring going all over the
place to God-knows where......right from the manufacturer.

That breaker should work fine in either direction. If it has an
indicator light boaters love, that's the reason for the polarity
markings. If you hook it up backwards, the light will always stay lit
because the LED/bulb will be hooked to the battery input. It also may
be marked to show how it is to be mounted into the company's breaker
panels.

On 16 Jan 2004 02:28:57 -0800, (Steve)
wrote:

Dear all

I just got a blue seas 40A thermal circuit breaker to protect my main
panel feed. I was surprised to see that the terminal are marked 'batt'
and 'load' or something similar. Because the wires are thick and space
is tight it would be easier to connect it the other way round. Is
there really any polarity to this ? Would it make any difference which
way round it was connected ?

Thanks

Steve

Larry W4CSC
Rusty O

Blue Sea is no longer selling the T-1 breakers that have been recalled. They
are now shipping only the same type of breakers they sold before the newer
ones came out.

Their breakers are not self-resetting and they don't have an LED indicator
built in.

I would suggest you call Blue Sea with your question. The folks there are
very helpful and will give you a straight answer.

Their number for customer service is 800-222-7617. Their web site is
http://www.bluesea.com/ .

Rusty O

Steve

"Rusty O" wrote in message hlink.net...
Blue Sea is no longer selling the T-1 breakers that have been recalled. They
are now shipping only the same type of breakers they sold before the newer
ones came out.

Their breakers are not self-resetting and they don't have an LED indicator
built in.

I would suggest you call Blue Sea with your question. The folks there are
very helpful and will give you a straight answer.

Their number for customer service is 800-222-7617. Their web site is
http://www.bluesea.com/ .

Rusty O

Thanks, sensible suggestion. You are correct that there is no LED on
it.

Sorry to disappoint the others but no its not self-resetting (bizarre
concept) nor the type that welds its contacts together if you are
stupid enough to hold it shut after it has tripped. However, in my
opinion the circuit-breaker should have been left on the market and
the users recalled ;-)

I intend to put it immediately after the main domestic battery switch
to protect the presently unprotected run to the main switch board.

Steve