Steve

Default Icom M710-xx ?

I'm looking at a NIB M710 on eBay.. The opening bids look reasonable..

However when I do a Google on that the M710 model number I'm coming up with
'dash' number, -21 and -22..

Would these dash numbers have anything to do with the 2182 khz alarm
readyness, DSC or Email readyness??

If I get a plain M710 could it be upgraded ecomomically??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

John Howell

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm looking at a NIB M710 on eBay.. The opening bids look reasonable..

However when I do a Google on that the M710 model number I'm coming up

with
'dash' number, -21 and -22..

Would these dash numbers have anything to do with the 2182 khz alarm
readyness, DSC or Email readyness??

If I get a plain M710 could it be upgraded ecomomically??

I suggest you chat to Icom..I have found them very helpfull even to
providing instructions and chips to modify ssb to cover ham and marine as
well as USB and LSB . (Icom M800)
E-mail should be no problem..just need money for a modem and use the
connections on the back. You would need a DSC controller for gmdss so
suggest you speak to Icom to confirm all the connections are on the back to
take one.

John

Steve

Opps! There goes another bargin.. A couple of newbie bidders have run it up
to near the price of a new one.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Michael O'Dell

In article ,
"John Howell" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm looking at a NIB M710 on eBay.. The opening bids look reasonable..

However when I do a Google on that the M710 model number I'm coming up

with
'dash' number, -21 and -22..

Would these dash numbers have anything to do with the 2182 khz alarm
readyness, DSC or Email readyness??

If I get a plain M710 could it be upgraded ecomomically??

I suggest you chat to Icom..I have found them very helpfull even to
providing instructions and chips to modify ssb to cover ham and marine as
well as USB and LSB . (Icom M800)
E-mail should be no problem..just need money for a modem and use the
connections on the back. You would need a DSC controller for gmdss so
suggest you speak to Icom to confirm all the connections are on the back to
take one.

John

the folks at HF Radio Onboard in Alameda California have
a microcode mod for the M710 that dramatically improves
the usability as a ham rig (ie, makes the tuning tolerable)
and they give you an updated set of channel memories reflecting
the demise of AT&T radiotelephone service, etc. i don't
remember the price, but it wasn't bad, although you do have
to ship the radio to them. i haven a 710RT and had them
do the mod - boy, was is a huge improvement. well worth it if
you have a 710 and are a ham as well.

cheers,
-mo
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Michael O'Dell wrote:

the folks at HF Radio Onboard in Alameda California have
a microcode mod for the M710 that dramatically improves
the usability as a ham rig (ie, makes the tuning tolerable)
and they give you an updated set of channel memories reflecting
the demise of AT&T radiotelephone service, etc. i don't
remember the price, but it wasn't bad, although you do have
to ship the radio to them. i haven a 710RT and had them
do the mod - boy, was is a huge improvement. well worth it if
you have a 710 and are a ham as well.

cheers,
-mo

Be careful that the above mentioned MOD does not violate the
FCC Type Acceptance for the radio. Some MOD's do cause the
Hardware to become out of Type Acceptance Compliance.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @