Harry Krause

Default Update on ICOM M-502

Rick wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
Follow up to this November post:

I have an ICOM VHF, model IC-M502, new this past spring, and two
weekends ago, I noticed it was not transmitting properly.

I was "rafting up" with a friend in his boat, and while we were
negotiating the boat hookup, I tried to stay in touch with the VHF. He
could not hear anything at all when I transmitted at the one watt
setting, but could hear me with some signal breakup at the 25 watt
setting. We tried several channels; same results.

It's not the antenna or its fitting, as far as we can tell, because we
hooked up a spare VHF and it did fine.

The friend believes there may be some problem in the M502's mike. My VHF
radio electronics knowledge is minimal. I am going to send the radio
back to ICOM for a look-see and repairs, but I'd like a better
indication from the experts here as to what might be the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just talked to ICOM. The radio is on its way back to me. There were
indeed "problems" with the microphone. It was replaced, and apparently
while they had the radio, ICOM updated the firmware. No more details,
but the paperwork packed in the "to go" box should explain all, or so
said the tech on duty.

That is probably the best reason to buy ICOM products. I have been very
satisfied with mine and would recommend ICOM products strongly.

Rick

They really do seem helpful and...so far...they haven't "exported" their
help desk to India.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Harry Krause

Rick wrote:

K Smith wrote:

Good God, if you want to rant and rave please keep it on rec.boats. I
thought I had gotten away from all the small petty thinking that went on
there we I deleted from my system.

Rick

You'll have to delete K Smith from your system or ignore anything she
posts in order to passover her daily dose of bile.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Chuck Tribolet

You radio should be back to you by now.

Any indication of what the firmware changes did?

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message ...
[...]

Harry Krause

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
You radio should be back to you by now.

Any indication of what the firmware changes did?

Not a clue, Chuck. The radio is sitting in a box in my garage, and won't
be "tested" by me until April. All the ICOM packing slip said was that
the radio was "updated with the latest" et cetera.

Right now, it is 12F outside.

--
Email sent to is never read.
NIFFOCBT

It probably drifted off frequency (Very Common) 15 second fix to put it back on
freq. with the proper equipment.

ICOM 402 VHF Baybyter Cruising 0 July 20th 04 06:16 PM
Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! Larry Cruising 18 September 14th 03 11:42 PM
DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! Larry Electronics 23 September 14th 03 11:42 PM
Icom 402 radio woes..or is it my antenna system? Rosalie B. Cruising 8 August 27th 03 07:16 AM