BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Marine PC's (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10913-marine-pcs.html)

James Hart December 21st 03 07:41 AM

Marine PC's

I am looking at installing an onboard computer onto our boat to use to run
chart plotting software as well as regular old computer stuff while we float
around. I am looking for a wall mount capable PC, durable for the marine
environment that is MS Windows based. There are a couple of brands out on
the internet but most are sold overseas. Is there a popular brand of marine
PC used here in the US?

Leanne December 21st 03 04:41 PM

Marine PC's

"James Hart" wrote in message
I am looking at installing an onboard computer onto our boat to

use to run
chart plotting software as well as regular old computer stuff

while we float
around. I am looking for a wall mount capable PC, durable for

the marine
environment that is MS Windows based. There are a couple of

brands out on
the internet but most are sold overseas. Is there a popular

brand of marine
PC used here in the US?

Just to start you on your search. I am not connected to any of
these vendors, just have a lot or stuff stored in this junk box.

http://www.argonautcomputer.com/index.htm

https://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm/DocId/602.htm

http://www.littlepc.com/index.htm

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Keith December 21st 03 06:27 PM

Marine PC's

If you're going to install the computer in a protected area like a
pilothouse, marinizing is unnecessary. You only need that if you're going to
use it on an exposed flying bridge or similar where rain and sal****er will
get on it.

Rick December 21st 03 08:20 PM

Marine PC's

James Hart wrote:

I am looking at installing an onboard computer onto our boat to use to run
chart plotting software as well as regular old computer stuff while we float
around. I am looking for a wall mount capable PC, durable for the marine
environment that is MS Windows based. There are a couple of brands out on
the internet but most are sold overseas. Is there a popular brand of marine
PC used here in the US?

I use a Dell Latitude

Larry W4CSC December 22nd 03 12:14 AM

Marine PC's

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:20:51 -0600, Rick wrote:

James Hart wrote:

I am looking at installing an onboard computer onto our boat to use to run
chart plotting software as well as regular old computer stuff while we float
around. I am looking for a wall mount capable PC, durable for the marine
environment that is MS Windows based. There are a couple of brands out on
the internet but most are sold overseas. Is there a popular brand of marine
PC used here in the US?

I use a Dell Latitude

So don't we! Latitude has a nautical name. Isn't that "boat"
enough?....(c;

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

bruce January 2nd 04 04:30 AM

Marine PC's

about 18months ago we installed a dozen hp industrial pc's on a
fleet of pearling trawlers in north australia. they had a 12v input and
were "ruggedised" or shockproofed, mainly used for course plotting, in
this instance. cost equivalent us$2k each including panel screen.

Michael O'shea January 5th 04 11:47 PM

Marine PC's

I use a Panasonic Toughbook ruggedised laptop. Designed from the bottom up
as a ruggedised unit, not an office model that has been "stiffened".
Excellent.

www.panasonic.com

Mike