HR42

Default Can you reccomend a chartplotter?

I am considering the GPSMAP 182 but also see the Raymarine 435 looks like a
good option too. They use different chart packs. If anyone has good
knowledge about these units & electronic charts I would appreciate their
insight.

Thank you!

Larry W4CSC

The Garmin on Lionheart is hardly used any more, except as a bottom
plotter, now that we got the Raymarine RL70CRC Plus color radar/chart
plotter display with the Raymarine Raystar 120 WAAS-GPS.

Don't buy just a GPS mapper if you EVER think you might want to
upgrade to a small radar (ours is the little 2KW radome) in the
future. Go for it and get one that overlays the radar right on the
charts.

As to the charts, they're not complete because of limited memory space
on the EPROMs you buy, but they are adequate for good navigation. Of
course, being overpriced, you tend to update them far less often, so
you end up using older charts until you plod down to Boat/US with it
for the instore upgrade....

Sail or power on a boat with a radar/chartplotter and it'll spoil you
awful! Try it.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:37:42 GMT, "HR42" wrote:

I am considering the GPSMAP 182 but also see the Raymarine 435 looks like a
good option too. They use different chart packs. If anyone has good
knowledge about these units & electronic charts I would appreciate their
insight.

Thank you!

Larry W4CSC

NNNN
Michael O'shea

Don't choose on the basis of hardware alone. Software is just as
important...Garmin Bluechart or Navico or C-Map????

I think C-Map NT is unbeatable. You can use it at home on your PC and then
upload routes etc to you plotter. If you check the C-Map site you will see a
list of compatible plotters. I use a Navman 5600 - very good except for
mounting bracket - better to flushmount if possible.

Mike

Doug Dotson

We have a NavMan 5500 and love it. Uses CMAP NT+
modules.

Doug
s/v Callista

"HR42" wrote in message
link.net...
I am considering the GPSMAP 182 but also see the Raymarine 435 looks like

good option too. They use different chart packs. If anyone has good
knowledge about these units & electronic charts I would appreciate their
insight.

Thank you!

Jack Burton

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:42:05 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:37:42 GMT, "HR42" wrote:
.
One of the big decisions was Garmin vs C-MapNT+, but the Garmin
software won out.

I'd be curious why you felt the Bluechart was better than the C-MapNT.
Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964