birdman

Default test on rec.boats.electronics

test

Rick

birdman wrote:
test

Why don't you go to Alt.test instead of wasting space here??

rick

Larry W4CSC

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:37:42 -0600, Rick wrote:

birdman wrote:
test

Why don't you go to Alt.test instead of wasting space here??

rick

Phooey! I had my pencil all sharpened to take another license test of
some kind!....(c;

I've really gotten back into tests since passing the GMDSS operator
and maintainer endorsements to my 1st Phone with RADAR endorsement.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Doug K7ABX

Although my old FCC 1st Phone with Ship Radar remains proudly posted on the
wall of my shop, it has a big "cancelled" on it. GMDSS maintainer is a
separate piece of wall paper to go with the GROL/radar the FCC now issues.

For a testing challenge try the NMEA Certified Marine Electronics Technician
exam, or the ETA-I Master C.E.T.

Doug K7ABX

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:37:42 -0600, Rick wrote:

I've really gotten back into tests since passing the GMDSS operator
and maintainer endorsements to my 1st Phone with RADAR endorsement.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:20:26 GMT, "Doug K7ABX"
wrote:

Although my old FCC 1st Phone with Ship Radar remains proudly posted on the
wall of my shop, it has a big "cancelled" on it. GMDSS maintainer is a
separate piece of wall paper to go with the GROL/radar the FCC now issues.

Yeah, I got my GMDSS maintainer. Broadcasting had to get rid of
licensed broadcast engineering so the stations could be accused of not
hiring enough minorities at the transmitters. GROL means you can
memorize test questions.....just like GMDSS maintainer does. They're
both word games.

For a testing challenge try the NMEA Certified Marine Electronics Technician
exam, or the ETA-I Master C.E.T.

Does this actually make a difference in what you're paid? I'd go
through the motions if it had some monetary benefit. Besides pretty
paperwork, what do YOU get. I know THEY get money.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry

birdman wrote:
test

Why don't you go to Alt.test instead of wasting space here??

rick

Phooey! I had my pencil all sharpened to take another license test of
some kind!....(c;

I've really gotten back into tests since passing the GMDSS operator
and maintainer endorsements to my 1st Phone with RADAR endorsement.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry,

What a great name.

Didn't the FCC get rid of the First/Second class commercial radiotel years
ago? I know mine got replaced with some kind of general license and then I
thought they dropped even that and left endorsements to Naber or some such
group.
--

Larry W1HJF
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Doug K7ABX

They replaced the 1st/2nd phone with the GROL (General Radiotelephone
Operator License). Then they dropped the license requirement for most
applications, such as land mobile, etc. However, International agreements
forced them to keep the GROL around for marine, aviation, etc. Broadcast
went to certifications from organizations such as Society of Broadcast
Engineers, etc. Public safety went to NABER, APSCO, etc. NARTE is considered
one of the better organizations for certification and endorsements. However,
getting all the wall paper does NOT seem to get you any more pay...it just
gets you an interview with a personnel type that probably thinks it is the
same as a Citizens Band license. The job descriptions that government
agencies post for hiring people often still refer to the 2nd phone and I
have run into a few personnel types who were not recognizing the GROL as
they has no idea what it was. Carrying the old cancelled 1st phone around
got me past that hurdle and on to the next interview level.
The dumbing down of license requirements seems to be keeping pace with the
"not field repairable" on the part of the equipment manufacturers. Keep in
mind that publishing the FCC questions and answers so the memorizers can
pass an exam is not unique to the FCC. Pilots have the same thing going with
the FAA!!!

Doug K7ABX, MasterCET, NARTE Engineer Class1, ...ad nauseum
Private pilot (1200 hours before I got too old and fat for flying)

test Chris Stevens Cruising 0 July 6th 04 08:24 PM
neon test light question. mike General 2 March 31st 04 02:41 AM
Test test Lou General 0 October 31st 03 05:29 AM
Depthsounder and Transducer test equipment Rusty Burke Electronics 0 October 29th 03 01:42 AM
Dry compression test Ok -wet not so good. Rebuild??? CaptMP General 20 September 23rd 03 12:41 PM