Charlie J

Default Source for Copper Bus Bar

I am trying to find copper bus bar material approx. 3" wide and at least
1/4" thick...only need about one foot of it. Any ideas?

Charlie

Larry W4CSC

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:14:11 GMT, "Charlie J"
wrote:

I am trying to find copper bus bar material approx. 3" wide and at least
1/4" thick...only need about one foot of it. Any ideas?

Charlie

Stop by an electrical contractor and ask for it. Anyone doing
commercial installations should do. They probably have a pile of
scraps to make you drool...(c;

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Jim Woodward

1) I have a number of bus bars left over 1/4"x1"x2' -- I'd give you one, if
that would do it.

2) For 12"x3"x0.25", McMaster-Carr p/n 8964K421, $16.38. www.mcmaster.com,
the solution to all "where do I find it questions" (maybe not all, but their
catalog is two thousand pages of fine print...)

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"Charlie J" wrote in message
I am trying to find copper bus bar material approx. 3" wide and at least
1/4" thick...only need about one foot of it. Any ideas?

Charlie

Jim Woodward

Actually, the latest paper catalog I have is from 1990 and is 2400 pages --
their web site is so easy to use, I almost never look at it, but once in a
blue moon it's easier to glance at paper.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Charlie J" wrote in message
I am trying to find copper bus bar material approx. 3" wide and at

least
1/4" thick...only need about one foot of it. Any ideas?

Charlie

BOEING377

We used to take copper water pipe scraps and flatten em with a big sledge.
Crude but cheap. Conducts as well as anything else with the same cross section.
One nice thing about old commercial fishing boats: function is primary,
appearance is a far second. Used to make our own 100 amp 50 mv ammeter shunts
too. Just file down a piece until 10 amps gives you 5 mv voltage drop. We used
surplus meters and redid the faces with paper label and pen.
No... we didn't refine our own diesel fuel from asphalt chunks but we did throw
waste oil back in the fuel tanks and burned it. Always wondered if that was a
good idea, but the skipper said BTUs are BTUs and these ones are free.
Larry W4CSC

On 10 Nov 2003 23:31:11 GMT, (BOEING377) wrote:

No... we didn't refine our own diesel fuel from asphalt chunks but we did throw
waste oil back in the fuel tanks and burned it. Always wondered if that was a
good idea, but the skipper said BTUs are BTUs and these ones are free.

217 horrified yachtsmen, who pay $42/gallon for the finest lube oil
sold at the most exclusive places, just threw up a gourmet meal that
would feed a trawler crew for 3 days for the same money.....(c;

Thanks for recycling.......

Shhh....Don't tell the Greenies. I've been burning a thin mixture of
lube oil in my Mercedes diesel cars and diesel trucks for 30 years.
Your skipper is right on the nose.

Remember when they used to sell "top oil"? Same idea without the
expense. If you get enough lube oil in the tank, I find it eliminates
tailgating!

I know someone who collects waste lube oil from car shops. He burns
it in winter in a home-made, dual-oil-drum furnace in his big wood
shop. The bottom oil drum has a boiling pan oil simply drizzles into
made of boiler plate surrounded by air intake holes. The top oil drum
is a heat exchanger to capture more heat from the flue before it
escapes outside. I've been in that shop, in upstate NY, when it was
-20F outside and 85F inside because he opened the gate valve too much,
causing the drums to glow red. There's a LOT of BTU in lube oil.

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
(Larry W4CSC) wrote:

On 10 Nov 2003 23:31:11 GMT,
(BOEING377) wrote:

[...]

We use all our "USED OIL" in a Oil fired burner that heats
the buildings, after it is cut 1:5 with No.1 diesel. BTU's
are BTU's! If you are going to burn it in a engine, you
better filter it REALLY WELL before you pump it into the tank....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Larry W4CSC

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:37:29 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

are BTU's! If you are going to burn it in a engine, you
better filter it REALLY WELL before you pump it into the tank....

I do....

The carbon in it doesn't seem to be a problem in the overall
carbonization of the diesels, anyway. My filtering has never clogged
an injector, which are really small in my little diesels....or had any
effect on the injection pump.....The tanks are really clean at the
inspection points after a few more tanks of just #2.