Bruce in Alaska

Default use standoffs between SSB coax and backstay??

In article ,
(Larry W4CSC) wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:29:20 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

It was probably GTO-15. I would hope that who ever went to the trouble
of adding the standoffs would know the difference. GTO is hard to tell
from RG59 from a distance. Neon sign suppliers even have it in
decorator colors.

What the hell is GTO-15, some West Marine $20/ft trick? This isn't a
neon sign with 40KV of 60 Hz on it....IT'S RF! All the insulation in
the world isn't going stop the RF from leaking out, like it's 'spozed
ta. Lionheart's tuner is hooked to its backstay with a stainless
strap in a gentle curve held on with a stainless hose clamp.

Now that we got the damned steel cable holdin' the boom up replaced
with something that DOESN'T suck off the HF signal into the mainmast,
it works much better......well, at least until the sun exploded wiping
out the ionosphere....

73 DE W4CSC

NNNN

AR

It isn't the RF leaking out that GTO-15 is used for.....

Real Marine Radiomen use PhospherBronze Antenna Wire and GTO-15
as short jumpers where human contact is possible.......

GTO-15 is, highly insulated stranded copper wire, used to connect
antenna tuners to antennas in the marine enviorment. It has 15000V
insulation to prevent flashovers and arc's to ground, from the high
voltage companents of the voltage feed longwire antennas. The 1"
insulators are designed to move the RF antenna away from the Grounded
Backstay and reduce the RF coupling between these two components.
1" isn't enough to really do the job. 6" would be much better considering
the length of the two components, and their parallel coupling.

GTO-15 is fancy sparkplug wire....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Doug Dotson

I guess you must have forgotten about your numerous posts
a long time ago (1 year +) where you expoused the use of
GTO-15 when feeding your entire rig. Must have been a
senior moment.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

wrote:

[...]

Ron Thornton

Doug,

Holding those of us on the senior circuit to what we said in the past is
simply not fare.

Regards, Ron (I think?)

Larry W4CSC

Wasn't me. I never heard of GTO-15 before.....??????

wrote:

[...]

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

You'll find a lot of GTO-15 at neon sign shops. It's heavy voltage cable.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Doug Dotson

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Wasn't me. I never heard of GTO-15 before.....??????

Must have been a pre-senior moment.

ta. Lionheart's tuner is hooked to its backstay with a stainless
strap in a gentle curve held on with a stainless hose clamp.

I thought you were feeding your entire rig as an antenna?

Now that we got the damned steel cable holdin' the boom ...

We sailors call that a topping lift

73 DE W4CSC

NNNN

AR

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Woody

In article ,
says...
I see this all the time on cruising boats not most, not many but a
few. I always try to argue with the person that installed it on the
pros and cons but never get anyone that can talk rf to me. best I had
was an extra class ham that just said it works better because I can
hear the difference.

Distributed capacitance should be taken care of by the antenna tuner
(all random length end fed vertical wire antennas on boats have tuners
I think) So I guess the reason is to keep stray rf from coupling and
reflecting back from the backstay. I would think that a ? wavelength
distance from the backstay to the gto-15 should be good. But since you
will be using it on many bands I would guess that at least 1/8
wavelength at the lowest frequency would be someplace to start from.
Maybe about 10 meters separation between backstay and gto-15 may make
a measurable difference. 2 inches of separation, less then 1
electrical degree ROTFLMAO at anyone who says it makes a difference.

sded wrote in message . ..
"Gordon Wedman" wrote:

The other day I was wandering around one of our marinas trying to steal
ideas from other boats and I came across an aluminum pilot-house sloop that
may have come over from Europe. I noticed that the SSB coax was held away
from the backstay turnbuckle and wire by ~1 inch plastic spacers. I've
never seen this before and the previous owner didn't do it on my boat. I've
been thinking of upgrading the ancient SSB system on my boat and was
wondering if these standoffs were something recommended.
Anyone know about these? Thanks
Gord

Standoffs are highly recommended to eliminate coupling/signal loss between the
leadin and the backstay below the insulators. I made mine by running plastic
wire ties through shrink wrap tubing-a loop around the backstay, through the
tubing, a loop around the wire. About 2" long is good. Not coax at this point,
but High Voltage wire, BTW. Easy to do, and does help performance.

If you are talking coax, and it is properly impedance "matched" at both
ends, proximity to objects (metal or not) will have no effect. There is
(should be...) no RF on the outside of the shield.

OTOH...
Most comments reference a single feed wire to the stay. In that case
isolating the wire from nearby objects is very important for proper
function.

Woody

Larry W4CSC

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:32:57 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:

The other day I was wandering around one of our marinas trying to steal
ideas from other boats and I came across an aluminum pilot-house sloop that
may have come over from Europe. I noticed that the SSB coax was held away
from the backstay turnbuckle and wire by ~1 inch plastic spacers. I've
never seen this before and the previous owner didn't do it on my boat. I've
been thinking of upgrading the ancient SSB system on my boat and was
wondering if these standoffs were something recommended.
Anyone know about these? Thanks
Gord

Any time the output antenna "hot" of an HF tuner is near anything
metal, a capacitor is formed between the antenna wire and the metal
objects. This capacitor is in parallel with the output of the
transmitter and must be minimized. If it becomes a substantial
capacitor (wire close to object), the output tuning capacitor in the
tuner will run out of range (low as it goes) and the antenna won't
tune properly, especially on the upper frequencies. So, we isolate
the wire as far as practical from all metal objects, especially large,
grounded metal objects. It is also very important that the antenna
lead on the antenna side of the tuner be STABLE, and not flopping
around, which causes this natural capacitance to anything to CHANGE
during transmissions. If the wire is moving around near metal
objects, the shunt capacitance constantly changes, ruining the tune of
the tuner. So, this boat had a proper installation.....isolated on
long insulators with many of them that would hold the wire stable as
it traversed the sheet metal.

The effects of shunt capacitance in any HF antenna situation with long
wires is on the OTHER end of the antenna from the feed point.....at
the insulator at the top of the backstay. This point in the antenna
is the highest impedance (nearly infinity we hope) point of the
system. The voltage at the upper insulator of a
shorter-than-quarter-wave wire is always very high. Any capacitance
to a metal object causes a lot of the signal to be shunted off to that
object, and mostly lost, wasted. So, it is very important to make
sure the upper insulator is NOT installed too near the masthead, but
back down the backstay a ways and the upper end of the insulated
backstay is never near metal objects, like boom lifting devices made
of stainless cable, etc. The tuning of the backstay will go all crazy
every time one of these metal cables moves near the upper end of the
backstay.

We Geoffrey acquired Lionheart, an Amel Sharki 41 ketch, the owner
reported the insulated backstay antenna didn't work very well and he
never found out why. After I took it over I noted how close the boom
lift was to the backstay when the boom was on centerline, where it
made my signal on HF just SUCK! So, we changed out the metal cable
for insulated line. HF signals are now very acceptable no matter
where the mainsail ends up. Getting the metal away from the antenna's
upper end high impedance point solved the problem.

Kris VK4CPG

It is practically impossible to match coax cable to an end-fed antenna for
various bands, without traps or impedance matching tricks at the end of the
coax. The outer insulation and even the core insulation of coax is normally
not high voltage proof, so don't rely on it, certainly not near an "earthed"
wire.
Special marine antenna cable can be bought but is expensive. I used
multicore green earthing wire and spacers. These can be made of 5cm pieces
of white conduit pipe (UV stabilised) with two holes on each side to fix a
tag to the feeder wire and the backstay. Wrapping around both, fixes it
well. Perhaps shrink tubing would even make it more "professional". The wire
has been there for more than 5 years and the plastic has not deteriorated.
The inside wires were getting black, so soldering on both ends is necessary.
I am now going to replace it by special multicore UV stable HV cable, neatly
tied to the backstay.
It is still the question if spacers are electrically better than tying a
cable close to the backstay. The coupling between the feeder and the rest of
the backstay makes the antenna anyway into an a-symmetrical off-centre fed
thingie that may radiate well on one frequency but miserable on another. The
tuner will make the whole system resonant but that does not guarantee good
radiation or prevent RFI. Sometimes a dummy load would perform the same way.
With spacers, a 600 ohm feeder could be created (at least for some length)
to keep stray radiation at lower levels but it must be symmetrically fed and
commercial tuners don't do that.
Probably the best is trying it out, as there is not much calculation that
can be done. Thick marine antenna cable tied to the backstay makes the
system at least wind and foolproof. And pray for no RFI into the GPS and
mobile phone antennas.
----
Kris
VK4CPG s/v Marin Hedon

Gordon Wedman

I doubt the boat in question was using coax. I just didn't know the
correct term to use for this type of wire and used "coax". Subsequent to all
the original discussion I had a closer look at the wire used on my boat
(installed in 1983) and I see that it is, in fact, GTO-15. Says so right on
the insulation.
Now I just need to buy a decent SSB to hook up to the backstay after
selling the old Motorola 11 channel unit.

"Woody" wrote in message
tt.net...
[...]

sded wrote in message

. ..